Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ebby
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
Our pastor goes there every summer and we Weill be talking to him also.

Any advice on put in and routes?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
267 Posts
I grew up in Minnesota...been to be a a few ttimes

Plus.....great forest...good fishing....pretty lakes...and the loons.

Negatives....mosquitos...black flies. ...more mosquito ......oh and least I forget more mosquitos

Man...I just r ember portage those canoes while being eaten alive.....not for me...but a lot of folks like it

Scott

·
Registered
214 Posts
Guided up there for 3 summers, the routes you could take are endless, best to get a good map and plan it out. Two main places to get in are Gunflint lake and all the access points around Ely (I suppose you could enter from far west near the NP too..) When I guided I aimed for ~10 mile days to keep you entertained. Portaging takes a while so any day where you are carrying a lot maybe whittle down the distance.

Fishing is spectacular, mosquitoes are also spectacular but the beauty makes up for it. My recommendation is to get further into the center of the park as soon in your trip as you can- fewer people and better fish. From Gunflint I really like the granite river route and from Ely I like going east as far as you can although west (through Basswood and Crooked) has fewer portages and more paddling (and more people)

Ahh, I miss it so much! Take a few fishing rods and a mosquito headnet!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The only time I went to the boundary waters, I went in february. No mosquitoes and the portages were easy as you could partially sled down the other side. ;)

Have fun and bring a head net.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would take your passport and go to Quetico. Same shit, cooler IMO, way less people. I like the Crane Lake access with Anderson's Canoe Outfitters. They provide any loose ends you may need and run the motorboat shuttle to your first portage as well as grab you on the way back. Awesome folks. Walleye, walleye, walleye.

·
Registered
214 Posts
17 footers are the norm for tandem, I grew up paddling aluminum but kevlars are soooo nice on the portages out there.

Black flies are seasonal (now) but go away after the sun starts dropping. Mosquitoes should be a bit tamer now too but still oppressive.

I agree Quetico is a much cooler area. Go there if you can get the permit.

·
Registered
676 Posts
A good friend of mine owns a lodge on the edge of the boundary waters. I can put you in touch with him if you're still looking for info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts