Mountain Buzz banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Abbreviated trip debrief - we flew in September 4 and launched the 5. One flight got into Indian Cr. at 8 am and then was grounded until 3 pm when the inversion cleared - a number of groups flew in then, but I believe there were no flights the following day although a few groups got in at Thomas on Sept. 5/6 before that was closed. Smoke was strong and persistent til we passed Big Creek, throat was sore every night. Wild stuff.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Things are not looking very promising for Boundary launching at the moment. Here is some of the info off the notifications tab for the MF. I underlined areas of special significance.

Fires Limiting Access to the upper part of the Middle Fork
The Boundary and Scarface Fires have merged and will be referenced from now on as the Boundary Fire. There is a very large area closure in place; see Inciweb for a map of the closure and fire perimeter.

Fire managers are continuing to see dynamic and active fire behavior. The evening of September 15, there were several spots where the fire jumped the Middle Fork of the Salmon River. The spots have since been contained and controlled, but this illustrates the unpredictable and active fire behavior still present.

Resources for fire operations continue to remain extremely limited, despite having a Type 2 team managing this fire now. Nationally, the Boundary Fire does not compete as well for resources against other fires that are threatening communities and large population centers. This inhibits our ability to adequately provide and facilitate safe access to the boating public through an active fire area.

The fire resources that are available are focused exclusively on providing point protection to our identified values at risk. These values include access points such as the Boundary Creek boat launch site, which still has active fire and unburned fuel around the location, as well as airstrips that allow for fly-in access further down the river.
The continued and active fire behavior on the shoreline of the Middle Fork also provides an additional safety hazard to the public in terms of snags falling into and across the river, creating log jams, as well as rocks and logs being dislodged from steep slopes and rolling into the river, and thick smoke reducing visibility significantly.

Boundary Creek Boat Launch: Currently, we are focusing our efforts at the Boundary Creek Boat Launch Site on protecting the infrastructure out there and preparing it for use again next season. Plan on launches for this site remaining closed until next season.

Indian Creek and Thomas Creek: Currently, launching from Indian Creek or Thomas Creek will not be an option until we can safely address the points above. As resources become available, when fire activity lessens, and after safety hazards are mitigated, we will reevaluate allowing launches from these airstrips.

·
Registered
396 Posts
A photo was posted on the MF guides facebook page of a 100ft ponderosa across the river at Hood Ranch. This would eliminate Indian and Thomas as options to fly in.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Next spring it could be a dangerous mess for anyone launching early if not checked first by air (if that's allowed). The residents and lodges have to be really hurting in there, far more than recreationals. Mother Nature doing it's thing but still depressing.

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
A photo was posted on the MF guides facebook page of a 100ft ponderosa across the river at Hood Ranch. This would eliminate Indian and Thomas as options to fly in.
These are not my photos, but they have been circulated and shared on numerous Facebook pages, so I'm assuming it is ok to post them here. If not, please delete.
Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape Bedrock

Plant Sky Mountain Cloud Tree

Water Plant Sky Water resources Mountain

·
Super Moderator
3,047 Posts
Since I am trying to do that right now...(fly in that is end of next week) I have been following this but with a different take. If you did fly in to Thomas I wouldn't really rig anything in. I bet I could do the portage on river left in an hour or hour and a half even with my barge load of crap. It's only about a hundred feet. Might even be able to take the tip off and do a drag over the rocks. If we do get into Indian or Thomas (it's been raining medium to light but steady all over central Idaho for the last five or six hours) I will throw in my long rope for a Z drag and a good double bit axe.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Could you deflate one side and squeeze under the root end safely?

·
Super Moderator
3,047 Posts
Could you deflate one side and squeeze under the root end safely?
I see what you mean...something small might fit in there. I don't like being under trees. Especially that have recently burned and fallen and have current pushing on the cracked part.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
When do you launch? I have one planned for the 25th. Just wondering where I will be able to fly in to? Mahoney maybe - but looks like a heck of a hike to get all gear down to the river.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
a good portion of the fire should have got snow last night.. Salmon is surrounded by snow and it looks like the snow line here is about 7000 feet.. unfortunately none of it would have been at river level as boundary is 5800.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
could you sneak or drag a raft left of the island? I have gone left before but it was at higher water..

·
Registered
194 Posts
At least what moisture fell has added a bit to the flows.
Rectangle Slope Font Plot Parallel

·
Registered
257 Posts
One of my buddies is a Sweep Boat driver for Solitude and they just flew into Loon for their last trip.

Since I am trying to do that right now...(fly in that is end of next week) I have been following this but with a different take. If you did fly in to Thomas I wouldn't really rig anything in. I bet I could do the portage on river left in an hour or hour and a half even with my barge load of crap. It's only about a hundred feet. Might even be able to take the tip off and do a drag over the rocks. If we do get into Indian or Thomas (it's been raining medium to light but steady all over central Idaho for the last five or six hours) I will throw in my long rope for a Z drag and a good double bit axe.

·
Registered
199 Posts
One of my buddies is a Sweep Boat driver for Solitude and they just flew into Loon for their last trip.
We launched 2 packrafts from Indian Creek on 9/6 (took 2 tries to get in on 9/4), told to not stop until Mahoney Camp. The hill past MF Lodge was smoldering. Many pumps and sprinklers on structures thru there.
We saw a commercial trip having their clients carry dry bags down from Mahoney airstrip at noon to meet gear coming down. Looked pretty brutal but they were smiling the next day on the river. Strong work! Then saw a commercial fishing party flown into Loon to meet gear coming down from Indian. And folks were flying in to the Flying B but that seems like it would make a really short trip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got off a private trip. We flew into Loon and put on 9/15. Spent 7 days on the water. Very few trips down there right now. it was magical. Tappan Falls was interesting - 4 out of 4 boats hung up (pulled off pretty easy though). just not much water going over the falls at < 1.4ft.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts