Mountain Buzz banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Bummer IDriverRunner. Are you going to try to fly in? Good info re: grounding of flights...here's to hoping conditions improve by the 4th...
We aren't going to fly in. Our mission was to do a stupid-low water trip from the top. Now with some flights not being able to fly into Indian that cemented our decision to cancel. It just wasn't meant to be. (I'm still crying on the inside while being VERY greatful that I already was able to do the Middle Fork once this year.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I had an August 22nd launch from Boundary, and decided to change the plans and fly to Indian from Challis instead. Group of 17. It worked out pretty well and only added an extra $90 per person, since we dropped one rental 14 footer (needed more boats to to disburse the weight on the upper section) , and shuttled two vehicles our own while having two shuttled from Salmon.
It sucks that we missed the crazy low water experience, and some good rapids up top, but still grateful to have had an amazing trip.
 

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
We are cancelling ours as well. Just not worth fighting for a chance to maybe make it happen and get denied with loaded gear and coolers sitting in bruce meadows or on the airstrip.
Totally get it. The last week really felt like we were "forcing" it trying to make our trip happen. I'm sure you guys are making the right call as well. There will always be other trips!
 
Joined
·
19 Posts
It's to bad the Middle Fork trip didn't work out IDriveRunner. This season has been full of obstacles for both boaters and shuttles. Next year will be better we are hoping.. For any boaters wanting to attempt a launch from Boundary cr after the road opens again we are willing to work with boaters to get you into boundary and get your vehicles back out safely and to your take out location usually Cache bar . If anyone needs us to do a Middle Fork shuttle and meet them at Bruce Meadows to follow the pilot car along with them into Boundary cr we are willing. Give us a call so we can plan our attack. 208-303-0803.
Cheers
Tammy&Michelle
Owner's W.R.S
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,047 Posts
Caltopo

Fire Map (you still have to type in a location like Dagger Falls, Idaho)

shows the fire has burned over the road to the south and west of the launch site up on the hill before you drop down to Boundary. Still trying to decipher the map but it shows spot burning in the area still with the more intense fire to the east of the road now. If you zoom out the fire is also just south of Sheepeater area but will likely stall out on that scrubby ridge to the south and east unless it keeps moving downstream. There has been extensive fire in the past in some of those areas that has removed a lot of fuel so who knows.

Also of note is there is a fire to the south of the Middle Fork Lodge up on old Scarface. This could affect visibility for flying into Thomas or Indian Creek.

This is all very amateur conjecture. My date is the 22nd. Not sure how it all plays out, but I am making fly in plan contingencies in case access is blocked. I have never flown a private trip into the Middle Fork and am cautiously optimistic I won't have to on this one either. But ole Ma Nature will have her way with us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
I have a launch planned on 9/11 from Indian Creek and got a call from the Ranger station that the river is closed between Indian Creek and all launches are cancelled for the next 2 days. He said they would re-evaluate the fire conditions on Thursday (9/9). I asked if it was due to smoke (health reasons) from the BC fire or the fire itself - and he said the fire itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
My understanding is there is at least one other fire (possibly other's) in the river corridor - The Scarface is Fire burning near the Middle Fork Lodge.
 
41 - 60 of 87 Posts
Top