Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
Joined
·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Email sent out to permit holders with some info (current as of 8/22 and could change at any time):

"We are planning to offer floaters limited Boundary Creek Boat Launch access beginning Saturday, 8/21/2021.

All private floating parties planning to access the launch site on that day will have to check in with a river checker at the check in point approximately 200 yards down the 568 road from the 579 road turnoff near Bruce Meadow between 6:30 am and 8:00 am (closer to 6:30 am preferred) on the day of your scheduled launch.
  • The river talk, required gear inspections, and boat inspections will occur at this time.
  • You will be briefed on the situation and if fire activity allows for access, all private boaters will leave from the check in location in one group, escorted by Forest Service personnel at approximately 9:00 am.
  • Late arrivals will not be allowed to proceed past Bruce Meadows.
  • Vehicles will arrive at Boundary Launch Site at approximately 9:45 am.
  • NO VEHICLES can be left at the launch site. All vehicles will need to check out with the river checker at Bruce Meadows. Vehicles must depart the launch site no later than 12 noon and return with the Forest Service escort to Bruce Meadows.

Key Points
  • Be aware that this could change at any time! If fire activity dictates that we can no longer provide access to the launch site we will do our best to notify trip leaders in advance but you could be turned back at any time including when you are checking in with the river checkers, on the road to the launch site, and at the launch site.
  • Please work cooperatively so we can get people and vehicles through the area and out of the Boundary Launch Site as quickly as possible.
  • No vehicles can be left at the launch site. All vehicles will need to check out with the river checker at Bruce Meadows.
  • Always follow directions from Forest Service personnel.
  • Vehicles may encounter fire traffic.
  • Have the required gear and Aquatic Invasive Species stickers readily available.
  • Present receipt from state highway aquatic invasive species inspection if completed.
  • Reduce the amount of vehicles, rig in advance, and prepare to launch quickly.
  • Once on the water, no stopping until after Sulphur Creek."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts
Not bashing but great for commercial trips, many of whom shuttle their own rigs. Tough for privates unless you supply your own shuttle
 
  • Like
Reactions: IDriverRunner

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
Joined
·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I assume that the private shuttle companies will have their "A" game on to meet the timetables? Lot's of moving parts, another layer of challenges to float.
Exactly. There are SO many moving parts to this, AND those parts are constantly changing haha!!

I have been very impressed thus far with @Wild River Shuttles. They have been extremely communicative through all of this and I feel are going above and beyond. They're planning on going in with us at approx 9am with the pilot car, getting us on the river, and then taking our vehicle out to their secure location. They even might be camping with us at Bruce Meadows the night before just to make sure everything goes smooth. They're doing everything they can to make sure we get on the river in these crazy times. (/not affiliated with them, nor is this a sponsored ad)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts
I have been very impressed thus far with @Wild River Shuttles. They're planning on going in with us at approx 9am with the pilot car, getting us on the river, and then taking our vehicle out to their secure location. They even might be camping with us at Bruce Meadows the night before just to make sure everything goes smooth. They're doing everything they can to make sure we get on the river in these crazy times.
The new kids on the block are coming through in these crazy times! What are River Shuttles and Backadar doing?
 

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
Joined
·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Updated information as of 8/25:

"Regarding your launch on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River.
  • All private floating parties planning to access the launch site on that day will have to check in with a river checker at the check in point approximately 200 yards down the 568 road from the 579 road turnoff near Bruce Meadows between 6:30 am and 8:00 am (closer to 6:30 am preferred) on the day of your scheduled launch.
  • The river talk, required gear inspections, and boat inspections will occur at this time.
  • You will be briefed on the situation and if fire activity allows for access, all private boaters will leave from the check in location in one group, escorted by Forest Service personnel at approximately 9:00 am.
  • Late arrivals will not be allowed to proceed past Bruce Meadows.
  • Vehicles will arrive at Boundary Launch Site at approximately 9:45 am.
  • NO VEHICLES can be left at the launch site. All vehicles will need to check out with the river checker at Bruce Meadows. Vehicles must depart the launch site no later than 12 noon and return with the Forest Service escort to Bruce Meadows.
  • Please work cooperatively so we can get people and vehicles through the area and out of the Boundary Launch Site as quickly as possible.
  • No vehicles can be left at the launch site. All vehicles will need to check out with the river checker at Bruce Meadows.
  • Always follow directions from Forest Service personnel.
  • Vehicles may encounter fire traffic.
  • Have the required gear and Aquatic Invasive Species stickers readily available.
  • Present receipt from state highway aquatic invasive species inspection if completed.
  • Reduce the amount of vehicles, rig in advance, and prepare to launch quickly.
  • Once on the water, no stopping until after Sulphur Creek.
The other option would be to fly into Indian Creek and launch from that location.



If neither option is feasible, you can request a rollover of your launch date to 2022. To do this, you must first cancel your reservation in your Recreation.gov account. Once you do so, send an email to this inbox requesting a rollover to next year. Please include your name, launch date and a daytime phone number."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
My group chose to roll over. We were to launch on Tue the 31. Middle, Main and lower. I wanted to wait before rolling as long as possible but we were told "if you choose to roll over you must decide by this Friday." I was so excited to run elf in a brand new boat, bought for low water. On to the main for new raft's first multi day. Best of luck to all who try for Boundary.
 

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
Joined
·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My group chose to roll over. We were to launch on Tue the 31. Middle, Main and lower. I wanted to wait before rolling as long as possible but we were told "if you choose to roll over you must decide by this Friday." I was so excited to run elf in a brand new boat, bought for low water. On to the main for new raft's first multi day. Best of luck to all who try for Boundary.
Strange. I asked the ranger today on the phone how long we had to make a decision to roll over and she told me anytime, even the day of the launch, all because of the fire.

I'm in the same boat as you (so to speak) about buying a new boat just for low water! A fully rigged Super Puma specifically for low water like this. Can't wait to get behind the oars. No better way for a shake-out run in a new boat than the Middle Fork hovering around 1.45'..
 

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
Joined
·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Strange, yes, but that is what my permit holder told me. I wasn't on the line to hear the conversation. Possibly something was misstated or ... I don't doubt what you were told is true also. Our group to chose to roll as logistics just didn't work for us. I didn't like it but I do support the choice we made.

I think the odds are good that access will remain.

My new raft is a 136dd with dre style frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Looks like no rollovers for post season dates

"If neither option is feasible, be sure to cancel your reservation in your Recreation.gov account to avoid a No-Show penalty. Rollovers are not available for post-season launch dates (September 4 and later). "
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,048 Posts

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
Joined
·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Apparently the fire took off to the North, jumped the river and went four miles just yesterday. Expected to get worse before getting better. Couldn't confirm but I don't think they will be running pilot car launching type of thing into Boundary with fire burning on both sides of the river.


Hoping to know more tonight/tomorrow AM. Here is the email I got in reference to my Sept 1 trip:

"I am checking in to let you know that the Boundary Creek Fire crossed the Middle Fork yesterday and grew significantly to 3819 acres. I need to know as soon as possible if you are still trying to launch from Boundary Creek. At this time the limited access has been closed for today; however, the Boundary Fire IC will reevaluate around 1800 this evening.

Enjoy your day!"


I'm still packing and moving forward like the trip is happening, but I am super doubtful. Worst case is that they tell us they plan on going back to the pilot car, we drive up there tomorrow night, conditions the morning of the 1st don't allow safe passage and we drive back home. Already have time off work and living in Boise it's not a huge drive. I'll definitly keep this thread updated with any new info that comes my way.
 

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
Joined
·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Latest update :cry::

"Due to the increased fire activity with the Boundary Fire, the access to the Boundary Creek launch site has been closed until Saturday, September 4, at the earliest. Personnel from the Middle Fork Office should contact you also to let you know your options.

Please be advised that smoke has affected flights in and out of Indian Creek and Thomas Creek today. Planes have been delayed and grounded due to the smoke inversion. It varies day by day. I just wanted to let you know.

Thanks for understanding and being flexible!"
 
21 - 40 of 87 Posts
Top