Mountain Buzz banner
121 - 140 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Curious.. if you run Marsh Creek, how does that affect your permit date? Are you supposed to enter the Middle Fork on the day of your launch from Marsh Creek or what?

nm. Found the answer:

Permits are required to be on the waters of the Middle Fork of the Salmon River, starting at Dagger Falls. These are required year-round and can be reserved at Recreation.gov. When selecting the launch date, use the first day you will start on the permitted section, below Dagger Falls, not when you plan on launching from Marsh Creek.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Not exactly on topic, but how do you go about predicting late season flows? Is this a fool's errand, or is it just based based on high elevation pack/ total SWE? Does a late melt on a mediocre total SWE bode well for August?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not exactly on topic, but how do you go about predicting late season flows? Is this a fool's errand, or is it just based based on high elevation pack/ total SWE? Does a late melt on a mediocre total SWE bode well for August?
It's pretty hard to correlate any data at this point. I have launched at 1.8'/2.2' in august on cancellations. I figure if there are still a few outfitters running w/sweeps there will be a channel open, be vigilant and look hard. I did 1.8' in an old school Puma, it was fine - a fishing trip was running 14' round boats and a sweep - but it was their last trip of the season. Start looking at trend lines mid July.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Watching some incredibly soft hearted men drive up to the edge of the snow at the Boundary Creek road is driving me crazy. Leads me to believe either, one these men are transplants from California, or two I’ve been giving the people of Idaho too much credit in relation to their ruggedness! The world needs more Wyoming Cowboys! Two trucks, whiskey, beer, and a tow strap! I’d do it for fun, I’d do it for free, by god I’d do it for America !!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Watching some incredibly soft hearted men drive up to the edge of the snow at the Boundary Creek road is driving me crazy. Leads me to believe either, one these men are transplants from California, or two I’ve been giving the people of Idaho too much credit in relation to their ruggedness! The world needs more Wyoming Cowboys! Two trucks, whiskey, beer, and a tow strap! I’d do it for fun, I’d do it for free, by god I’d do it for America !!
I may be an Oregon cowboy but would be willing to charge in there and bust through some snow this weekend. You got that good ol Wyoming truck with the tow strap and some whiskey GROH?!? Let’s giddy up and open that road:)
I have heard some one has driven all the way in via Selway rig with flotation tires. So maybe not too much wood if any to clear. Just that dang snow.. anyone been in on sleds for recon?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I may be an Oregon cowboy but would be willing to charge in there and bust through some snow this weekend. You got that good ol Wyoming truck with the tow strap and some whiskey GROH?!? Let’s giddy up and open that road:)
I have heard some one has driven all the way in via Selway rig with flotation tires. So maybe not too much wood if any to clear. Just that dang snow.. anyone been in on sleds for recon?
I’ve got a May 28th launch and could possibly try to get up the 26th for some whiskey and wheeling! I have a feeling another crew might grow some balls before then and get er open before I get the chance. Boy those water levels are starting to look good!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve got a May 28th launch and could possibly try to get up the 26th for some whiskey and wheeling! I have a feeling another crew might grow some balls before then and get er open before I get the chance. Boy those water levels are starting to look good!
Well our launch is the 25th… but we may be working on the road on the 26th too.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Seems like other than a stout rain storm you’re at base flows of 1.5-2’ by mid August.

·
Registered
330 Posts
=
Seems like other than a stout rain storm you’re at base flows of 1.5-2’ by mid August.
I spend way too much time looking at Western snow/ weather data, and was wondering if there was any validity in predicting late-season flows by total SWE, melt dates, etc. Will it hit 1.6 in Sept, or July? Probably a waste of time, but an entertaining one.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sounds like a healthy dose of both.

Banner Summit Trend over the last 7 days
SWE: -1.4"
Temp Change: +19°F
Precip Change: +1.1" H20 (assuming that came in as rain)
Snow Depth Change: -3"

Not necessarily road opening trend, maybe I'll get bored after dinner and search some data on that, too, but here's SWE on 5/15 at Banner vs Flow (Stage height) at MF Lodge, 6/10, 6/15.

Rectangle Slope Font Line Parallel

121 - 140 of 176 Posts