Mountain Buzz banner
101 - 120 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
You got a good bit yet to go. But seems like Idaho is staying cold for now. Your date is gonna be real tight for Boundary. 128% of normal today, my guess is you might be flying in if it continues to stay cold. SWE at Banner is 21" today. I may be wrong but I think when it gets around 11 you can dig your way in. @carvedog would know. Good Luck!

·
Registered
482 Posts
That’s kinda fucked. Looks like the MF Shoup gauge doesn’t have any warnings though.
Anyways, I’m on my way to open the road. I’m sure this isn’t what the FS means when they say no heavy equipment.

·
Super Moderator
3,121 Posts
What an epic spring. So much white manna falling on us now. I know it puts some spring trips in challenging and uncharted territory, but the earth and river love to flex. So on a normal dry winter a June 5th wouldn't have trouble driving in. but here we are. The long range forecasts don't look particularly warm either and with more moisture. Also to have a wood moving flush we need a fullish snowpack and a regular warming to hot trend to bring a decent peak. I don't think we will see that. Obviously there will be a decent rise and flush of some kind but man Marsh is looking ugly. I know trips are launching with saws and rigging to maybe clear a better path, but that is tough, dangerous work and I hope everyone stays safe.

·
Registered
486 Posts
2014 melted out close to normal. Outlooks are for continued below normal temps and above normal precip for rest of May. Look at 2011 for an example of a delayed melt.
2011 was great! We snagged a MF trip in late July at ~3’. One of the funner MF trips I've ever done! Hot n sunny, but still nice flow. Horseflies were cocksuckers (cockbiters??), though!
I doubt it repeats to that extent this year, but June could be fabulous!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Am told that 11" SWE at Banner is the time it generally gets opened.
Look at past years with similar curves. We had a 5/15 launch in 2015, but snowpack was in the upper 70% range.
Now that March is pretty well past, the chance of any significant accumulation is low, so it's just a matter of how fast it melts or if there's any high elevation rain.

I'll say you have a 60% chance of driving into Boundary.
Guides going in 6-8

101 - 120 of 176 Posts