Mountain Buzz banner
261 - 273 of 273 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,169 Posts
Using anything other than a truck and shovels to clear the Boundary Creek road is prohibited by Forest Service policy, unless a huge "road damage" bond is posted. A guy tried it once without posting the bond, and got fined. And, the Forest Service threatened to close the road. Not a good idea.

There is lots of debris in the snow, including rocks and fallen limbs. You would go through lots of shear pins with a snowblower (don't ask me how I know, using a walk-behind 24" snowblower a few years ago. But, a loader would work--if you can afford the bond.
At least from my conversations with the area rangers a few different times over the years, this may not be accurate.
And I have never seen anything that specifies just trucks and shovels or anything else similar in the FS rules and I went deep. Tracked vehicles and 'bladed' equipment needs a permit. To get a permit you have to post the bond. The least expensive one I could find was over a $1,000. That was ten years ago. Good luck now.

Also the main part of the road that keeps it 'closed' does not have rocks or wood in it. The downhill side of Fir Creek summit at the bottom does often have avalanche debris buried in the snowpack.

Mi'chelle from All Rivers Shuttle posted this on her FB page.

"With The Middle Fork running 6.5' ish maybe it's a blessing in disguise that the road won't be open for a bit. I am hearing rumors that it's open, but according to the rangers - that is not true.
Snow is predicted in Stanley, Sunday and Monday 80-90% as well, so factor that in as well, if you are helping dig out the road.
I have retired forest service personnel who plowed many many roads on our rivers that we run now and they tell me if someone goes in with equipment and ruins the road they are looking at up to 10K fines. We are not talking about a few miles of road. There is much road that doesnt get any sun exposure. Its not just snow on the road either. There are logs, rocks, debris. It's great to bring shovels and ropes, but a chainsaw is what we bring every trip! - We've gone in and the road was open, and then pick up rigs and come out and voila - new trees have fallen!
Partially correct. If they go in with 'equipment' whether they ruin the road or not, they still can be fined. It is only really a few miles of road. She is correct on the chainsaw. One year we cut out 25 trees on the way in and 2 on the way out. Most could have been drug to the side, but when you have a saw you gotta Braaap.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
HYDROLOGY...An atmospheric river bringing intense precipitation to the region will occur and result in rising water levels for area streams, creeks, and mainstem rivers. Forecast rainfall amounts will range between 1.00 to 3.00 inches Saturday through Monday for north central Idaho and western Montana, particularly locations along the Montana/Idaho border. As a result, excessive runoff may result in flooding of rivers, creeks, streams, and
other low-lying and flood-prone locations. Creeks and streams may rise out of their banks. Rock and mud slides, debris flows, and landslips will also be possible during this time.

·
Registered
405 Posts
HYDROLOGY...An atmospheric river bringing intense precipitation to the region will occur and result in rising water levels for area streams, creeks, and mainstem rivers. Forecast rainfall amounts will range between 1.00 to 3.00 inches Saturday through Monday for north central Idaho and western Montana, particularly locations along the Montana/Idaho border. As a result, excessive runoff may result in flooding of rivers, creeks, streams, and
other low-lying and flood-prone locations. Creeks and streams may rise out of their banks. Rock and mud slides, debris flows, and landslips will also be possible during this time.
Ah, thanks. Hopefully some high elevation snow sticks around. Be safe out there people. Sounds woody.

261 - 273 of 273 Posts