Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been waiting for the speculation to begin as to when the Boundary Creek road will open this year. Last I checked the Salmon drainage was at 84% of normal snow pack and Banner Summit was at 48” snow depth and 19.3” SWE.
I have a 15 May permit. Anyone like to shovel and have a permit prior to that? I’m going one way or another so let the speculation begin.
Cheers,
Trevor

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Am told that 11" SWE at Banner is the time it generally gets opened.
Look at past years with similar curves. We had a 5/15 launch in 2015, but snowpack was in the upper 70% range.
Now that March is pretty well past, the chance of any significant accumulation is low, so it's just a matter of how fast it melts or if there's any high elevation rain.

I'll say you have a 60% chance of driving into Boundary.

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
395 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,737 Posts
Am told that 11" SWE at Banner is the time it generally gets opened.
Look at past years with similar curves. We had a 5/15 launch in 2015, but snowpack was in the upper 70% range.
Now that March is pretty well past, the chance of any significant accumulation is low, so it's just a matter of how fast it melts or if there's any high elevation rain.

I'll say you have a 60% chance of driving into Boundary.
I know it has been done at 11" of SWE. But that was also in mid June after a much bigger winter than we are having now. Angle of the sun vs time of year and duration of arc of sun over the road will change everything. And there was still over 40 inches of snow for what seemed like a 1/4 mile.

In early May the arc of the sun is lower and it seems like the snow is deeper in the curves before the long uphill and the last couple of curves before the summit push even at 6 to 8 inches of SWE.

That said it may well be good to go by then.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Winter is back, snowing in Stanley ID now along with much of the PNW to varying degree's.

1 - 20 of 273 Posts