Mountain Buzz banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for all the hard work teams. We have a 5/24 launch and are so grateful.

Off topic sorry, but do they assign camps for Preseason launches?
Yes, It's all done thru email. When I sent my camp list, the ranger told me they will assign them 6 days before launch.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
You will have your work cut out for you. It is warming up later this week to give you some hope.
This photo taken Sunday at 2: pm.

I recommend muck boots of some kind, square toed landscaper shovel, aluminum scoop shovel and a few pairs of gloves. I use the light mechanics ones that are kind of rubberized and still protect when wet. Oh yeah, chains too and a high clearance 4WD. A week can make a lot of difference in this view. The one year there were about 15 of us at it for around 6 or 7 hours. Not trying to talk you out of trying, just be prepared - it may be a marathon not a sprint. Weirdly, in looking for an extended temperature forecast, Ketchum is closer to the temps on Banner than Lowman or Stanley on accuweather anyway.

Please stay on the road.

·
Registered
38 Posts
5/13 launch. I just have a wimpy stock four wheel drive Tacoma and no winch. Are you guys in 4x4 machines?

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
A winch won't help much. Where you need to get thru any anchors are pretty far away and would only pull you toward the side. Some of these guys are trying three days before you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info carvedog, I hope we can actually make it in. I've never tried to open the road before, but some of our group has. We will do our best. I suppose if I don't post anything after May 13, you can assume we made it and our floating down, otherwise I'll post a failed status here and how far we got...

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Does anyone ever air down and chain up?
...or does that cause hassles for the shuttle coming back out with your rig?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I got invited on a May 30th and I expect it to be normal year mid July flows then.

As for a prediction on road opening I have been too busy to even look at the road so it's tough to guess. Mid May launches should have no problem.
See you out there, we are launching the same day.
@natepelton is lanching 5/30 as well.

5/29 Launch here. Going thru to Carey Creek. 6/1 through the confluence for us. Was thinking we might have a bit more water, but we'll see..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey all, we are planning a Main Salmon run for launching on 5/11. But based on this thread, we're trying to see if getting into Boundary might be possible and doing a 5/11 MF launch would work.

Shuttle company said they haven't heard anyone get through and so as of now they aren't willing to pickup our cars at Boundary.

Any thoughts or advice on whether or how this might be feasible? We had previously avoided the MF as we didn't want to deal with the wood in Marsh Creek.

·
Registered
145 Posts
We are launching May 11th, Bringing shovels and chain saws. Looks like 6 groups are coming in that day, we will get that road open.

Hey all, we are planning a Main Salmon run for launching on 5/11. But based on this thread, we're trying to see if getting into Boundary might be possible and doing a 5/11 MF launch would work.

Shuttle company said they haven't heard anyone get through and so as of now they aren't willing to pickup our cars at Boundary.

Any thoughts or advice on whether or how this might be feasible? We had previously avoided the MF as we didn't want to deal with the wood in Marsh Creek.
Grab a shovel and join the folks on the previous page.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Grab a shovel and join the folks on the previous page.
tBatt – that's exactly what I was thinking. We're game for it and have the cars for it. Our main challenge is getting the shuttle company to agree to pick up our cars. Any advice on that or alternatives for running the shuttle?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks all. Found another shuttle co who said if we can get our cars in then they'll happily pick them up. Trying to getting touch with jtn4148 to see if we can coordinate a team effort to open the road. Our group doesn't have any experience opening the road, but we have 9 people willing to help, 6 of whom are very tall and strong (not me).

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
To each their own.
Some people love cranking out both river and highway miles.

Personally, I'd rather trade more river days for fewer windshield days. Once I get there, I don't want to be anywhere else.

I hope you all enjoy each and every river mile this season, however you choose to enjoy it.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts