Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
We’re going to do Marsh only because we have to do it to get to the Middle. And if we have to do it, I’d a lot rather it were cold, with flows around 2’.
Or, I’d be happy with higher flows, and a bouncy ride from Boundary. Right now, my nightmares are a 3’+ flow, with Marsh full of strainers and floating trees.
It’s looking pretty good today, 2.40’ and falling, then forecast for warm temperatures on launch day.
I am VERY interested to hear your trip report when you get back! Stay warm and safe!

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts
It doesn't get full of strainers until you get flows up in the 4 to 5 foot range. Not enough velocity or speed to move much around.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I picked the 4/15 timeframe because it looked like the last time before the big melt happens. On average levels really jump mid April. So, we’re looking very good for the 4/16 launch. Levels are in the mid 2’ now. That’s perfect! We won’t be hung up on rocks all day, and won’t be dodging floating trees.

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts
Is it true that the road opening usually correlates to ~10in SWE? If so, I predict 5/11.
We actually made it in a few days later in 2007. We launched on May 16th.
But it is much more than just SWE although that is one of the biggest considerations.
There are many factors that influence your ability to get in. Night time freeze thaw cycles average daily temps and that type of thing. It was very warm that spring so it was relatively easy. Another year we went in just below 10 on the SWE at Banner and had to work our asses off. A well armed and provisioned crew (shovels and beer, or whiskey for me) can get a lot done, I have also seen some folks really struggle to get in there too.

The main thing that I want to emphasize to anyone contemplating 'opening' the road' is to STAY ON THE ROAD.

If there is too much collateral resource damage to the edges of the road (and one year a bunch of people just drove up on the sidehill near the top) the FS can close the entire access. Don't fuck this up please.

Don't make trenches in the road surface spinning out. There have been several different rangers in the last 25 years that I have been organizing private trips out there. I have talked to nearly all of them. They do not want to close the road but they also are tasked with protecting the resource.

Everyone is hungry to get on the water and there are few non-rollover permits available, which makes it even more challenging. So please do it the right way.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts