Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm thinking of heading out to the Res to just practice some strokes & concepts and do more fitness--but I've never been there before (newly transplanted to Boulder). Can anyone please tell me where I can park/other necessary info on where the good sections are to paddle there?

Thanks much in advance,
Becca

·
Registered
138 Posts
paddlin on Boulder Reservoir - use the Eastern access point

take the Diagonal towards Longmont - turn left on 75th (at the light)
go North (across the Boulder-bound lanes of traffic)
go about 1/4 mile and turn left on the dirt road headed towards the Reservoir Levee
go to end of dirt road (about 150 yards) and park.
Yu are then at the Eastern boundary of the reservoir.
Enjoy the murky cold waters and watch out for speed boats!

·
Registered
255 Posts
boulder res

ps - be prepared to dish out 10$ to park and paddle - i have had success haggling with the fee collectors due to limited time, but they seem like they really want their money. i'd suggest bringing a friend and some food for a picnic on one of the floating docks, and make a day of it - seeing as you'll probably pay to paddle around a lake.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'm used to the Hudson River around Manhattan, so any other place can't be worse than that!!

Imagine practicing your rolls and as you come back up, you notice the used condom floating by... :roll:

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
There is free paddling to be had on boulder res. Go right past the main gate on 51st or something, and go another mile or two. there is a trailhead where you will have to walk a couple of hundred yards to access the North shore of the res.

The earlier directions to the east side of the reservoir should have said 63rd st, not 75th. That access is better (less walking, more fishermen) if its open. I have seen it locked on a few occasions.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
The access that Dave is describing is the first turn after the madel airplane "airport". It's about a 100 yards walk from the parking lot to what coul only loosely be described as a beach. But, it's a gradual dropoff and protected from drunk motorboaters by being in somewhat of a cove.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Becca,
I bought a season pass for $60.00 and I paddle the res for stroke work-out several times a week. I use a 16' glass touring kayak so I can focus on speed and stroke progressions. Let me know if you want to paddle.
Kim
(303) 786-9370

1 - 7 of 7 Posts