Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like some water is starting to flow in BC. I was wondering if anyone has scouted any of the runs (on boulder creek and south boulder creek) to check for wood?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Boulder creek doesn't run until the reservoir just below Ned fills up to the rim, then it spills and it goes from nothing to flood in one day, maybe someone from ned can tell us how close the lake level is?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Here is the Ned paddler with the Barker report. Barker is 7' from the top or so. It is filling, but the inflow has slowed with the cooler weather.

The Orodell guage is reporting 102 cfs. Most of this is coming down North Boulder Creek with little coming out of middle Boulder creek below the dam.

The 102 flow could be higher below 4 mile creek, if water is flowing in at 4 mile creek with all the lower level snow melting.

Not sure what you need for upper Boulder Creek, as I have yet to run it in my canoe? The whitewater park is probably doable. I personally do not like to paddle below the whitewater park through town without 240cfs in a canoe.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks for open boater....

Although, for those interested, Boulder Creek is doable long before or after water is spilling over the dam; it just depends what section you want to run.

To run Four Mile down, you need a solid 250 cfs, however, you can run Butress rapid as low as 150. For this, you can put in using the steep emergency access path from the small parking lot at Butress Rock. This is also a fun slide for the boat abusers. The kayak park can be run as low as 80 cfs, although most would rather watch paint dry. You can go below the park as far as broadway with 150 cfs but really cant run anything below the broadway damn without having at least 200-250cfs.

Personally, I like having 300 cfs and runnning from Four Mile down to 30th. Classic and fun run.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Has anyone played in the whitewater park this year. I know the city had an excavator in the creek bed this winter doing work. I hope they had a chance to improve some of the drops?

I may go down there tonight to check it out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have run 4 mile to the PP pretty low, but can't remember the CFS, has anyone gotten a visual on the Canyon level.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Saw some yahoo's bumping down the lower part of the 4 mile run yesterday afternoon. Put in about 1/2 mile above the buttresses. Buttresses looked ok, playpark needs more water.

The 'new' Widowmaker looks like it'll be pretty nice when the flows come up. MUCH better shape for a wave hole as opposed to the old pourover death trap.

·
Registered
146 Posts
bummer, I had fond memories taking a beating in that hole. I guess there no more longs boats left to have fun in that hole doing enders.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If the water stays above 100, (doubt it) I'll be up there tomorrow around 11am.
If it can maintain a bit more, Butress rapid should be doable.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got some time this evening, and was thinking about doing a run down through town with an eye of cleaning up any wood (put in at the PP and take out at 30th)

Anyway -- will be at the PP around 5:30ish if anyone is interested in setting up a shuttle.

Blue subaru outback, yellow salto.

Cheyenne

·
Registered
539 Posts
funny how the "minimums" are so subjuctive.

for instance the minimum on bear creek is ~150 although runnable down to 73 or 74 and i had fun at 95; boulder creek through the "buttress" section is ~150 although i had fun on thursday at 102 and i've heard it's runnable down to the 70's or so. pine creek minimum is 200-300? i'd bet it's runnable at 100 and lower. left hand isn't running yet, but i had a fun run on thursday. bailey's minimum is 400? runnable down to 150ish.
as a general rule for colorado nothing is boatable until june 15th. then everything is dry by july 1st.

maybe we should set up a new rating:

minimum
more than runnable but less than minimum
runnable

one man's runnable is anothers good time.

dan (redefining the minimums)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I agree wiyh Danger and Philly Boop.ELFin'can be quite fun,and I liked the old Widowmaker, the best ducky ender spot around along with the bottom hole at Union,another hole kayakers hate.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Boulder creek might not be the best kayaking for some but the water is great right now. I kayaked in my creek boat with a friend from about 6 miles up the canyon and we had a blast. the last mile or so is at a great level and there is alot of fun to be had. I anyone wants to go call me.

Brian
303 440 7820

1 - 13 of 13 Posts