Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daily Camera says it washed out. Does that mean there's no more portage? Anyone have a visual?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Nothing abnormal about it yesterday afternoon (usual death sieve) but this sounds new. Another significant hazard is watching out for an old naked dude sunbathing on the rocks just above the bridge. I hope the bridge does wash out. It's unconscionable that the owner's parsimony created a death trap on the creek. I guess if it goes that means watching out for debris coming down though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sure looks like it'll need to be replaced. Perhaps with some pressure the owners will do the right thing and install a navigable bridge this time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Creek paths cleared due to flash flood fears

BOULDER - Police and fire crews are scrambling to clear people from paths along Boulder Creek because of the possibility a strong surge of water could wash over low-lying areas on Tuesday.

Boulder Police say a bridge upstream in Boulder Canyon was compromised after being hit by debris, causing water to back up behind it. Officials fear at some point the bridge, located at the Red Lion at 37400 Boulder Canyon Drive, could give way sending a strong surge of water into Boulder.

Authorities say they don't think the surge of water will affect residences or businesses along the creek, but they say it is important for people to stay off the paths and away from the fast-moving water.
9NEWS has a crew en route and will update this story as more information becomes available.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I see a line...

Boulder creek was awesome yesterday. Big water fun. Lots of crazy boulder hazards to keep you on your toes though. Naked old men lounging on rocks, unsightly lesbians making out vigorously on the bank, and yahoo dumb asses in inflatable K-mart rafts launching massive logs into the creek and into widowmaker causing boaters to swim after getting stuck in the hole with the log.

Safety note. The massive log was about 10ft long and 2 ft in diameter. We hauled it on to the bank just downstream of widowmaker on river left, but it was waterlogged and heavy and we couldn't get it too far out of the water. Higher water could launch it downstream.

The red lion bridge was rediculous. That thing needed to go. Not sure who or how that should happen, but some river safety needs to be brought into that discussion.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hey, just an FYI, I met the owner of the Red Lion a couple years back while portaging the bridge. He actually asked Joel and I to come up on his property and use the stairs down onto the lawn to launch again because he didn't want to see anyone getting hurt launching from the much steeper left bank. He might be pretty reasonable and I'd try a tactful approach first.
Joe

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Red Lion bridge is backed up and crumbling away as I type. Just ran from 4 mile down. Emergency crews at every path interface keeping pedestrians away.

I was pleasantly surprised that no one tried to keep us from paddling.

Big shout out to Boulder County authorities for not "saving me from imminent danger"

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dave, We have decided that if you are paddling with The Craw you are crazy and not worth saving anyway. Hope to see you and Reily in Lyons during the Lyons Jr. camp again soon. Kevin

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Anyone got new beta? They have a Hoe in the creek dismantling the bridge, with the goal of a slow release of the impoundment. The "flood" warning is supposed to expire at 6pm.

I'd like to go get it, but I'm sure they will net let you simply portage it, and it really isn't worth the risk.

I bet this guy is really wishing he had just fixed his bridge right in the first place. I wonder if he'll get an emergency management bill. All of a sudden a new bridge would have been pretty cheap...

·
Registered
451 Posts
bridge

From the office if emergency management:

"Crews have been successful at removing some debris and a major part of the Red Lion Inn bridge. They plan to remain on scene and dismantle the remainder of the bridge this evening, but the threat of a surge of water has been reduced enough that the Emergency Operations Center is closing down. The Boulder Creek path is subject to additional closures, but will be opened back up to the public around 6 p.m. tonight. However, community members are advised to stay alert and stay away from high waters until further notice. Emergency officials will continue to monitor the situation and alert the public as the situation warrants."

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hey, just an FYI, I met the owner of the Red Lion a couple years back while portaging the bridge. He actually asked Joel and I to come up on his property and use the stairs down onto the lawn to launch again because he didn't want to see anyone getting hurt launching from the much steeper left bank. He might be pretty reasonable and I'd try a tactful approach first.
Joe
We pulled up on the bridge last year to take a quick look at it and he rolled up in his golf cart with a total [email protected]$k attitude. He eventualy backed down but immeaditly started with the tresspassing and law suit bs, sure, it's his land I was on but with that bridge you'd think he'd understand my desire to not get too close to it in a boat.

Come to think of it, woould the bridge mid stream be his land just because he built it? Guess it doesn't matter now. Best news all week!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts