Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping this is short lived, we have been having some low water fun on it!

Boulder Creek to be closed to swimmers and watercraft during debris cleanup
Beginning Tuesday, April 22, 2014 the City of Boulder (by emergency rule) and Boulder County Sheriff’s Office will close Boulder Creek to facilitate the cleanup of sediment and debris left as a result of the September 2013 flood. The closure will remain in effect until the restoration work is completed.
During the closure, there will be no swimming, floating (including inner tubes), canoeing or kayaki...ng in the creek inside city limits, and in Boulder County there will be no floating (including inner tubes), canoeing, or kayaking. Heavy construction equipment is being used to dredge and restore the waterway, and the equipment could be dangerous to swimmers or those using watercraft or other flotation devices. Hazards left by the flood include tree branches, rocks and concrete blocks with exposed rebar.
In Boulder County, Boulder Creek will be closed from Boulder Falls to the City of Boulder’s western limits. In the City of Boulder, Boulder Creek will be closed from the western city limits through the city to the eastern city limits, located at approximately 75th Street and Jay Road.
The Boulder City Manager has issued an emergency rule that makes it a violation of Boulder Municipal Ordinance 5-5-20 (Unlawful Conduct on Public Property) to swim or use any watercraft in the water while the repair work is being conducted. Police will enforce the rule and may issue citations to people found violating the emergency rule.
It is violation of Colorado Revised Statute to disobey this closure and violators may receive a fine of up to $100.00.
Boulder Fire-Rescue will accept public comment on the emergency rule for 30 days before deciding whether to extend the rule. Comments may be directed to the fire department at 303-441-4178

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
oh, thank god! now my friends don't have to see what a pussy I am, and I don't need any more excuses....

That sucks, but im partially glad it's not being reg'd by FEMA.

I think we're gonna get "f'ed in the A" in a few more places other than Boulder creek as well. Parts of the St Vrain if not all of it will be closed. Big Thompson for sure, and it will be interesting to see what happens to LSB/eldo and NSV/SSV and USB.

I think all the big boy stuff, USB, NSV will be easy to evade detection, though getting out of NSV might be a problem. I think proving grounds is out for this season. USB should be ok, LSB not so much, we shall see.

I have no idea what im talking about anyway, just speculating and worried.

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
This sounds like a potential disaster if they're sending gung-ho guys with backhoes out there to "clean up" the creek. Is there any information on what they plan to do or any indication the work's being overseen by someone who thinks creeks function as something other than drainage culverts?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My understanding is yes, Gary Lacy has his hands in it. From what I have seen, things look good. We still have some of the ledgy drops in the park proper, but there has been some improve drops and some drops that they did not rebuild that have made it more natural with Boulders below Ebin G fine.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Creek looked like it doubled since yesterday.

My understanding is that S&R went to do some training and found rebar and other junk just below the park. Not sure if they've suggested the closure, or if guys in excavators don't want to worry about hitting a boater while digging.

They seem to be doing a nice job with what they are doing.

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
My understanding is yes, Gary Lacy has his hands in it. From what I have seen, things look good. We still have some of the ledgy drops in the park proper, but there has been some improve drops and some drops that they did not rebuild that have made it more natural with Boulders below Ebin G fine.
Whew!

I guess that's the nice thing about living in Boulder. They don't just go in with bulldozers and backhoes and a "Pave it and drain it" mentality.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My understanding is that this is being driven by Boulder Fire department. Notice the 30 day public comment period, which hopefully everyone will take full advantage of.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Whew!

I guess that's the nice thing about living in Boulder. They don't just go in with bulldozers and backhoes and a "Pave it and drain it" mentality.
Andy it's obvious you haven't been around Boulder County in the past four months. If it makes you feel better they aren't using bulldozers and backhoes, just excavators and loaders. If there weren't a lot of dedicated people volunteering the rivers would very much be "pave it and drain it". Cdot is the biggest culprit, but I believe they are trying the best they can in the past month or so.

No guarantees in Lyons yet, but Meadow and Bohn Parks will be closed to paddling. Efforts are being made to make black bear and a-hole usable this summer. Lyons Outdoor Games will be held May 31 and pending approval by the board of trustees will have paddling events. No ssv race this year.

·
Registered
190 Posts
IMO they are doing a good job. We paddled above EGF to Broadway tonight after reading the city closure press release. The kayak course is much as before with the top drop above the big pool a lot like before. Boulder garden below widow maker is channelized with no rr eddies. More of a right line at the bottom of EGF. 5th St wave working. 9th st wave completely rebuilt, glassy and powerful. Fun chute where they are working at the Chief Niwot statue drop - more to come.
From what I understand Gary lacy is managing the design very hands on for the city and should be thanked. They have done a huge amount of sediment removal to regain the pool/drop structures and are remaking 6 or so of the Bigger drops to be rebuilt to be more fun/safe features.

That all said, I wonder why any reaches above current or planned reconstruction need to be under Jane Brautigam's closure? Of course they don't want boats and tubes in the water next to the backhoes in active construction areas. We need to respect the work that is ongoing and not create conflicts but we can ask about the parts that have been completed. We saw a few sticks in the water today, no rebar, nothing unusual for spring.... Great to be back on the water.

·
Registered
93 Posts
As I recall there is a state law that prevents local authorities from closing creeks to hard shell boaters. Might that be relevant here?

Previous high water bans on Boulder Creek have been limited to tubers. Fire dept typically jumps the gun and tries to ban kayaks. Then we have to explain the law all over again.

I have no problem with being courteous and observant and portage around any active work sites. But closing Boulder Creek during one of best run off seasons in long time is unacceptable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Colorado revised statutes 33-13-111, Authority to Close Waters, sub-section (b) allows for the inclusion of canoes and kayaks in the casse of a state of disaster emergency, disaster relief efforts that are underway, which may include debris removal, an accident or other emergency that occures in or immidiately adjacent to the water body, rescue efforts that are actively underway, and active construction or transportation projects authorized under state or federal law.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for the statute reference.

I'd suggest folks call fire dept and give comments (303-441-4178). Chief Larry Donner (sp?) is taking the comments. Only got his voice mail but will keep trying.

My basic point was that for hard shell boats the closure should be limited to "active construction sites" in keeping w/ spirit of state statute. While it is totally reasonable to keep everyone away from active hazards it is over reach to ban all boating during one of best run off periods in a long time.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Larry Donner, Fire Chief, direct number 303-441-3357. If they could open 4 mile down to 6th street, it would be better then a complete closure! Please call!

·
Registered
265 Posts
This is a well timed move to close the creek this year. They've had plenty of time to restore the river bed, why wait until now? Vrain and Big T clean up has been going on for months. Once the creek ramps up they won't be able to achieve much anyway, seems like a disguised year closure to me.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Notice the 30 day public comment period, which hopefully everyone will take full advantage of.
kevin, does that mean we legally get it for 30 days after they post?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hey guys. I'm trying to make some contact in the Police/fire department to see if we can get volunteer paddlers to help with the cleanup. Hopefully they are into the idea. I will keep you all posted and hopefully start a list of volunteers. I just found out that they expect to be done within 60 days, but it could possibly be longer.

Nick

·
Registered
966 Posts
Is it really the best way to call the number that's been provided? I can see how a bunch of folks calling would piss someone off....just asking, I'll do whatever will be most effective. Was the notice posted yesterday? So, effectively, we have until may 22 to request the entire park is not closed for too long as well as offer kayak related ( or on foot) assistance for debris removal?

I'm clearly missing the large amounts of rebar and debris that are in there and I've been in 2x recently. I saw some but not a large amount. It seems this closure might have more to do with restructuring than debris - but that's just what it seems like to me.

I certainly am not inclined to agree with the above post that suggests it is a calculated event to keep kayakers From being in there. Soundsa little paranoid to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The article says call the phone number, there was no email address given. I have called Larry Donner, Boulder Fire Chief, Kim at City of Boulder Police and Heidi Prenup at Boulder County police to express my concerns. They seemed receptive to my comments and concerns. I was very polite, of course.

I think there are three issues, excavation sites, debris that could come down with high water, and high water.

I can tell you from two first hand high water experiences, that I have been told by Boulder police that we can not get on the creek. We did it anyway and nothing came of it. Now, according to Kevin's post, they have changed the statue to give them more leeway and I think they are fully using it.

From my conversations with one of the above, I was told we can't tell a good kayaker from a bad kayaker, so need to close the creek down. I just don't think they want to deal with paddlers, let alone tubers and swimmers and it is the easy way out to close down the whole creek.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts