Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boulder Creek is starting to rise and wanted to give a heads up on a nasty looking log. It is below Elephant buttresses after the next right turn drop, but before the 119 bridge. It is hard to see when driving and it is currently at or below the surface now and I am not sure it will move? It also has some nasty branches sticking up catching stuff too.

BTW, Barker is still way down, but it looks like they started to release a little water yesterday. Maybe, the North flow with the Middle release will make it runnable soon?

Anyhow, just a heads up.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is hard to see. It is in the water. It looked like a cottonwood about 12" in dia. Let me take a look at it today, when I go down to Boulder.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My friend Tom and I are going to take a look tomorrow at 9:30 meeting at the upper parking lot of Eben G Fine. If any other boaters are around come by. Otherwise, I'll report back. I don't have any experience removing wood. We'll have ropes and hand saws. Anyone have a chainsaw? I understand that it's underwater, though.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The top of the log is at the top of the water level. It looks kind of stuck to the bottom for now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
First attempt to clean up wood

Here is the tree below the Buttress and 100 yards up from the bridge. We trimmed branches from tree and cleaned up the best we could with a handsaw. Cheyenne stopped by with a cool hand powered "chain saw". So we tackled a good part of the log so that there would be a right channel as well as the one on the left. We spent most of the time trying to secure the log we cut on the right bank about 20 yards downstream. It will be set free when the water comes up. Does anyone have a chainsaw or wench? We were able to walk upstream from bridge on riiver right to access the tree.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Does anyone have a chainsaw or wench?
I have both a chainsaw and a wench but the wench refuses to use the chainsaw.
I do actually have a chainsaw and could probably help out. Are you saying the log is moved to the bank and you're worried it will relocate?

·
Registered
87 Posts
MikeG, yes, I do think the log will relocate when the water comes up. You can easily get to the log on the right bank now where we lodged it. It is about 20 yards down from the rest of the tree that is still lodged firmly in the river. If you could cut it up, I think it would be easier to get on the bank. I can help out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts