Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm wondering if the Orodell gauge is busted? I see the creek daily and it doesn't seem like 43 cfs...

Secondly, I wanted to start a conversation about who might be interested in paddling Boulder Creek Play park on a lunchly time slot this season? I am a relatively experienced paddler happy to meet up with anyone during my lunch break. With a 17 month old, I am not allowed to kayak after work anymore, and also not allowed to play alone. Nearly all my paddling buddies have either moved away or given up the sport, or both, so I need new friends!! ;-)

So if you want to join me for lunch paddles let me know! I'm happy to offer unsolicited advice, chase boats, practice play, etc. I got one whole day last season and I really don't want to repeat that!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Not that I'm aware of, but it's possible the calibration is a bit off. You're looking in town? This early there's some extra flow that comes in between the gauge and town. There's a gauge at 75th st. as well.

Once it comes up I might be interested in a lunch run down the canyon section.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah, I suppose so. But even yesterday when I was at the park it looked paddlable, not fat, but the holes were pretty in and you could probably keep your head on ;-)

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Is the 75th Street gauge the best one to look at for the in town run (below Eben G Fine)?
No, I don't think so. There used be one right there at the park, but it doesn't seem to be operating anymore. There's a 4 mile one:
USGS Current Conditions for USGS 06727500 FOURMILE CREEK AT ORODELL, CO

That one's especially useful during a big rain event since the fire damage means a lot more rain runoff into the creek.

I would add that to the Orodell Boulder Creek one and figure a tad more coming in by the time you get the park this early.

I don't tend to fret about the different degrees of low. It's low until Barker spills and by then the feeders don't make much difference.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I think the best gauge to look at for the town run is the gauge that is located at Broadway. It's called "Boulder creek At Boulder" . That is also the gauge the sheriff uses when he closes the creek for single chamber inflatables.

·
Registered
36 Posts
YO Redbeard

Not much of a Gauge Guy but drove past kayak course today at lunch and it's good to go. I am heading up after work and I am sure others will too. In Boulder anytime it rains hard for a few days the creek is usually good regardless of what the gauges say. See ya at the Widowmaker.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
We ran from buttresses to the library last night. 135 Cfs by adding the Orodell gauges. Bony for buttresses, but the park is clean and the new wave seems promising. Thanks Gary and city of Boulder. I would say this is a better option than golden if the four mile flow holds.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good for lunchtime paddling

Hi Redbeard
Love to hit the creek at lunch with ya.
Just contact me at bootcamp at fitliv . com
Even impromptu can work as I work from home.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well who's up for paddling today?? I would love to get out right after noon, maybe one or so? I'll keep an eye on this thread and others to try to catch anyone!

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Lots of water in the creek today. We ran from the Black Tiger pull out, (right below Blue Bridge), to 30th st.

The Boulder Creek at Orodell and the Four Mile Creek at Orodell gauges added up to either side of 500. It felt like 400 to 450 at the put in, but water was cascading in everywhere along the way. Once we picked up the stinky sixty brown water from Four Mile, it felt more like 700 CFS.

Lots of wood moving around, but very little of issue.

All in all pretty clean in there. Buttresses was fast but free of wood.

The newly remodeled Widowmaker was a bust as a wave/hole, but at least not a sticky trap.

The best hole was the one below the library, above the footbridge. Riley and Peter were able to loop here, on the river right; too shallow still center.

Good surfing above and below Broadway.

The wave to hole combo down by CU proved a bit sticky and is backed up by a vertical strainer.

The town section has lots of side strainers that are not in play if one is on line, but make it a lousy spot for newbies. The drop at the millennium hotel is backed up by another lousy set of trees on the left, and more exist as you approach 30th.

Anyone have beta from below here? Might be a good flow to run it out east a good ways.

The 75th st gauge was reading 1400 (down to 1300 as I type). The gauge at hit at least 3K before it went off line.

As this system cools and snow levels drop, I expect water levels to back off a bit.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nice footage!!! I ended up leaving town after all, but looking to get on it next week for a lunch run!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
...The drop at the millennium hotel is backed up by another lousy set of trees on the left, and more exist as you approach 30th.

Anyone have beta from below here? Might be a good flow to run it out east a good ways...
Anyone run this past 30th yet?

I walked the path from 30th and Arapahoe to just past Foothills and did not see much. There is a downed tree across the right side of the creek downstream a was from Arapahoe, but the channel goes left, so it should't be an issue.

There is another jutting out from the left bank just past the footbridge at Foothils as well, but it's easy enough to get by on the right.

Other than that, all I saw was your typical tree branches hanging over the creek (mostly past Foothills) - wear your safety glasses!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have done a few laps down to 38th street this year. It is about the same as last year: trees to dodge as the river weaves through the "forest" but no major new strainers. Always keep your eye out though!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Redbeard ,

I'm in for some lunch or early morning yaking on Boulder creek. I'll be doing evening too maybe clear creek. I'm new in Boulder have no other paddlers at this point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Redbeard
Love to hit the creek at lunch with ya.
Just contact me at bootcamp at fitliv . com
Even impromptu can work as I work from home.

I'm in for after work, some lunch or early morning yaking on Boulder creek. I'll be doing evening too maybe clear creek. I'm new in Boulder have no other paddlers at this point.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts