Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a spring break trip the week on March 15th. We've been down Cataract the last three years in a row, and are looking for something new. We've got a mixed crew, so class II-IV raft support is what were into for the most part. Any new ideas, beta, or persuasions would be helpful.

A list of possibilities we've thought of so far....... What else?

-Salt? (didn't pull a permit, cancellation?)
-Owyhee? (too cold that time of year? Which section?)
- Horsethief/Ruby/Westwater combo (too much flat?)
- Labaryinth into Cataract to switch up the scenery?
- San Juan (water to low?, to mellow?)
- Maybe day trips in Arizona/ New Mexico?
- Rogue? (too rainy?)
-Gates of Lodore? (snow?)

Any ideas, or beta would be super helpful!

Thanks,

Pat

·
Registered
133 Posts
We were going to do a Cat trip launching March 2, but we decided to run the Verde. Its running, warmer, and we had the time blocked out to do a trip, so we're off! We're going to take 7 days and do some hiking. NO permit required, yet.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
Gates of Lodore last March was easily the coldest trip I've ever done- it snowed and the wind blew every day.

R/H through Westy will have less flat water than Cataract either from Potash or through Labyrinth Canyon.

The Verde is a good call- can't wait to get down there. I would've been running it this weekend if the Salt hadn't spiked. The only hitch with the Verde is that they only allow 15 head of livestock per group according to the website regs- so be careful how many kayakers you take.:cool:

·
Registered
806 Posts
-Owyhee? (too cold that time of year? Which section?)
- Rogue? (too rainy?)
Owyhee - There is a good chance the water will be too low in mid March, the weather will be freezing/snow and you will need 4wd to access either the launch site or take out depending on what section you choose.

Rogue - Too rainy? Well, it is western Oregon in March.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Illinois? Maybe harder than you were looking for and you'd have to watch the weather. Deschutes? Once you stray from the desert you run into complications with rain and cold. But then again you could have the river to yourself...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Depends on which sign you're reading as you're driving to the put in. There are 3 signs and 2 different spellings. Powell named it after a poem, not sure how it's spelled in the poem. That's probably the correct way.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've spent enough time in SW Idaho and SE Oregon in the Spring to know that the Owyhee would be rough. The wind is brutal that time of year. That's a gladiator trip not a fun spring break.

·
Registered
85 Posts
We're doing Westwater march 24th. Just have to be prepared for any type of weather. I have floated Westwater this date for 3 years now and have had good luck with weather. Happy boating

1 - 17 of 17 Posts