Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first drysuit but it has the built in feet. I can no longer fit my booties over top. What do most of you do to protect the bottom from wearing out but still leave enough room to fit your feet in the boat?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I wear the Rassler with my drysuit and it works great. They are awesome for hiking. The Rassler has a higher profile than the Brewer so it will be better at protecting the suit feet from sticks. Might not be suitable though if you're in a playboat unless you have plenty of room. Also, I had to size up a full size to accommodate wearing pile socks in the suit, so take your kit into the store and try it all on together.

·
Registered
774 Posts
One pair of socks inside for warmth when it's cold and to keep the smell out of your suit. Dry suits get bad smelling fast without socks.

Outside I wear a pair of Season 5 socks. Any socks on the outside will prolong the life of the dry suit. Whichever shoes you like and fit in your boat are good, just get a size bigger so everything fits.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I just got a dry suit also and want a river shoe with great grip and high enough to protect suit latex sock. I'm looking at Astral and five ten. Concerned with how much bigger I should get. I hate wearing thick socks and always wear smart-wool ultra light socks in ski boots because they are Surefoot foamed liners and do not have room. Also feet hardly ever get cold. Should I go 1/2 size larger or full size? I like idea of something to go on outside of dry suit sock for protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi

After you get your suit ....just take it with you plus the socks ...and try on a shoe some where just for size ...

for me it was +1

Also thin smartwool may not provide adequate warmth. ....in the ski boot linner there is a lot of insulation ....that drysuit socks offers none ..... suggest you size with thicker sock

Scott

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hi

After you get your suit ....just take it with you plus the socks ...and try on a shoe some where just for size ...

for me it was +1

Also thin smartwool may not provide adequate warmth. ....in the ski boot linner there is a lot of insulation ....that drysuit socks offers none ..... suggest you size with thicker sock

Scott

Thanks Scott. That kinda what I figured with socks, that I would either have to layer or wear thicker ones. I'm leaning towards the FiveTen Water Tennie.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thin wool sock under gtex, thicker in cold weather. Five ten water tennies + 1/2 size for river (I didn't size up so they fit like approach shoes which I'm used to, wouldn't mind a half size up though) nrs freestyle booties stretched over for the playboat. Never thought of a liner sock on the outside to protect the gtex, will have to try that out maybe.

·
Registered
73 Posts
How should I size up for a pair of playboating booties and what are the recommended options? size 12 regularly, I wear my astral brewers with latex drysuit booties without sizing up but I bet I'll have to for booties.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Scratch the extra socks on the outside . Sack up and get some nylons from your wife. If it doesn't add warmth don't bulk up. Done quite a few extended marches with quality wool socks with nylons to reduce the friction.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.