Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the Boater Boof technique used a number of times over the years and each case the boater who has boofed has came out of the situation quite well. For the guy stuck in the hole the outcome has always been a swim.

What would you do in this situation?

Boater Boof - Unsponsored

·
Registered
182 Posts
What else are you supposed to do, plug and break their jaw?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
354 Posts
I find that often that situation you push the person out of the hole and end up in it yourself. Its best not to be following that close in the first place

·
Registered
312 Posts
The guy upside down in the hole was out of the hole by the time the 2nd guy finished his boof over him. If he remains calm, he should be in great position to roll up at that point.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I call this the "boof bomb"... when you bust a huge boof and land on your buddy.

Couple thoughts... If you are in the situation leading up to it... of course you boof if you can. Subbing under and spearing is way worse. Main question should be how to avoid this via spacing, scouting, signals etc. Some creeks require blue angel boating and boof bombs can happen. In many circumstances though... the boof bomb is preventable but folks blunder into it because they get lazy, complacent etc.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Matt, I heard stories about this video - love it! That first unnamed paddler looks like maybe he's getting a little too old to boof - muscles really atrophy with age. The 3rd unnamed over the hill paddler looks like he just plugged it and either got lucky by having 1st paddler deflect his angle or those new Jackson boats really are made of magic pixie dust. The rope throw without knowing if anyone else was coming down was way uncool though and fortunate the timing wasn't worse.

If people wonder why there's such a huge gap between me and the person in front of me going into a known hole, it's because I've been on the sending and receiving end of the boater boof. When I'm stuck in a hole with someone behind me, I always kind of hope they'll hit me and knock me out. If you're side surfed, I figure you wait for the bow coming over the horizon line, hold your breath and go under water and hope for the best. It's never really worked for me though.

Obviously if you're the person dropping in and you don't have any alternative lines or don't see the person getting surfed until the last minute, you give 'er right up the gut.

Tony might have something to say on the subject.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
They haven't commented on it because you didn't embed it and they are too lazy to click on it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I saw the video, I just didn't have much to say about it, other than I'll make sure to leave more space between me and the next guy in similar places.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts