Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a new digital rebel xt, and was wondering what kind of precautions i should take while carrying this thing in my boat. Suggestions on pellican size and what type of foam would be great. Plus, is it safe to run drops like big drops or bumpy drops with it in my boat. Any tips at all would be great thanks

·
Registered
316 Posts
For those of you looking for a digital camera look into the olympus line. They have a line that is water resistant so you do not have to dry your hands off. Plus they are small enough to fit into the smallest size pelican cases which can then fit in the front pocket of your vest (astral). They have a very low level of latency and and shoot pretty decent video. (30 minutes with 150 pictures, 1 gig card)

All of this ads up to the ability to shoot from the boat. In the past a took a lot less pictures becasue i had to get out of the boat, unpack the boat, dry my hands, take the picture, repack the boat, and then get back in..... Maybe I am lazy.

They probably will not take as great of a photo as the rebel I just like the convience.

·
Charc in = charc out
475 Posts
huckit --

the rebel is a nice choice because it's light & fast & takes a pretty good shot. you'll need to be a bit more careful with handling the rebel because it has a plastic casing, as opposed to canon's better models' magnesium case. i'd recommend losing the chinsy lens that they sell with that camera & upgrading to a good piece of canon glass (EF or EFS). the lens is super important.

as for cases, i use peli 1200 case for my 20D. it's a tight fit, but works as long as you tuck the strap & fasteners away from the body of the camera. you can make a spot in the foam where you can roll the strap up & tuck it in. the peli case will provide adequate protection for the camera while running the shit (or portaging, for that matter). i've dropped my case onto the rocks numerous times with no damage. i have friends that shoot with $5K HD cameras & they use Watershed bags with foam inserts .. more because of the fit into the boat than anything .. but i am too rough on my shit to use a bag instead of a peli.

having said all this .. DO NOT make the same mistake i did recently! i pack a rag in a ziplock to dry off my hands & face. when repacking on a recent trip, i must've not cleared the gasket totally (some plastic from the bag interfered), & so my box took on water. i had to send my camera into canon yesterday.

as for the olympus waterproof stuff .. anyone interested in the art of photography, will need to get a real camera & deal with the inconveniences inherent in using an SLR as opposed to a point & shoot. if you simply want some pics of you & your friends to email around, then the olympus stuff will work fine. beware the water droplets, fog, & film buildup on the lens though.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
A real camera? Yes the SLR is king but the convenience and great photos of the Optio WP are all most people will ever need. Take great photos, enjoy your SLR, do cool stuff but its a stretch to say these cameras are not REAL cameras.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Just bought one so I was amazed at the pictures and convenience. I understand that what I do with my pictures and what you will do with yours are vastly different.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Here is my advise to you. I just had a 20d, that my pelican case leaked on and totaled. So, screw the peli case. Get a water shed dry bag and put some pading inside of it. A towel is what I have seen most people use, that way if somehow a little water gets in the towel will absorb it. Now this might not work the best if you are running water falls or something where you could give your camera quite a jolt. But I think after I get my 20d replaced I'm going to use the watershed bag. Oh and I wouldn't use any dry bag, use a watershed bag. They are the best, far and away. thats my two cents.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey all,

I was not offended by the comments about the SLR vs point and shoot deal. I just thought that some of the people interested in the post at some point might be interested in shopping for a digital camera so I made a recomendation. It was a little off topic.

So just to provide a little bit of background for my recomendation.
My wife is a professional photographer with her own portrait studio. The money she makes supports my habit.

I could very easily use her old Fugi S2 and pack it in a case. I have just found that I take way more pictures with my point and shoot than with the SLR camera because of the convience. Even when we took our family on vacation to Costa Rica we left her SLR at home and took the point and shoot. I have just found that by taking more pictures I get more good pictures reguardless of the camera. Another way of saying it is If your camera sits in your boat because you do not have the time to take it out or you just dont feel like the hassle then it is not going to take good pictures reguardless of how much you paid for it.

That being said if I were a whitewater photographer I would drop the bones on an SLR with a super special bag or case or something. But since I am recreational paddler that happens to take pictures, a really small olympus that might fit in the front pocket of your vest is a pretty killer set up. I go because I want to paddle the river, not unpack and repack my boat all day.

syotr,

ben

ps. here is a link to the new 7.1 megapixel waterproof and shockproof olympus camera. looks like no need for a case now?
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1225

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
The money she makes supports my habit.
Taking pictures? Skiing? Kayaking? Or is it your other habit? :D

·
Registered
688 Posts
The Pentax Optio WPI (6 megapix)is down to $196. Spec's are a little less than the Olympus but who cares for half the price. Don't let them talk you into a $60 battery though, you can get extras on Ebay for less than $2.

http://www.bwayphoto.com/product.asp?id=pnoptiowpi

I just got mine so I can't give much of a review.

-d

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I have the optio and love the pictures. Took it out the first time last weekend, was very surprised by the quality pictures.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so i went ahead and got the peli case but now have trouble deciding where to put it. If it is behind the seat, my stern stis real low in the water and it gets kind of squirly. My second trip down Talulah yesterday i put it between my legs and that help a bit but, if i ever needed to wet exit, it might be an issue. Any hints or tips would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Last spring in California, I toted my 35mm SLR Canon EOS elan 7 in a 10-year-old peli-box 1200 on nearly every trip, shot slide film, and had no problems. The problem came in that the peli case rested between my legs, I couldn't fit it in any other place in my Magnum, though I never tried very hard to find an alternative spot to put it. This is good and bad; good in that everytime I got out to scout I conveniently grabbed the case and clipped it onto my hoopy (webbing belt) so it was always with me when I was ashore. In our dry climate, by the time anyone was ready to run a drop, I was dry and in position for the shot, and, if needed, for safety. I think anytime that you are boating a class of water that challenges you, especially something you don't know, you will be out of your boat doing out-of-boat activities and so, for me, setting up an SLR shot didn't seem to add any further hassles. The bad part is having to stuff a 1200 pelican box somewhere in your boat, and if it isn't between your legs you won't be as inclined to pry it out and use it.

I now also own a pentax Optio wpi. Great little camera for what it is, and if you can get relatively close to your subject, and there's adequate lighting, you cannot beat the quality and convenience of having six, waterproof megapixels in your PFD pocket. It's limited in that it suffers from the standard point & shoot delay, and if you are in a low light situation (like an afternoon, Rocky Mountain rainsquall in a deep canyon) its optics will likely be insufficient to get the action shot you are seeking.

I've been using the pentax exclusively in the ocean, and even on overcast days there's plenty of light for action shots. I think that in the Sierra, in spring and summer, the rivers are bright and sunny enough to warrant me stuffing the pentax into a pocket rather than lugging the film, SLR, box, et al. That is my plan this season, so long as my pics still turn out good. Make sure to note that in cold water/weather the standard Pentax battery will last maybe two hours at best.

As for the durability of the peli-box, my 1200 has been ever reliable for the past ten years. When I shot video with it, I would shoot a drop from the top and then lock it back up, toss it down into the plunge pool, and a buddy would rescue it and resume filming from below. The foam it came with has been sufficient for outfittting both a video and SLR camera. Make sure to layer both the floor and ceiling before making your custom template for whatever camera you are using, and thoroughly test the box in the bathtub, sink, or in a pool before setting out. If it leaks, send it back until you get one that is bomber.

Anyone know where to find the portable mini-solar panels that will charge a digi cam deep in the backcountry?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Camera guys,

I'm looking at two waterproof cameras and I'd like some help deciding.
1. The Pentax Optio W10...waterproof to 5ft, found it for $240
2. The Olympus Stylus 720 SW...wp to 10ft, shock proof from 5ft, found it for $360..about a half inch smaller

Obviously, one's cheaper. But the other is "shockproof" somewhat. I called pentax and they make no suck claim about the optio. Any of you more savvy photographers care to weigh in about any other differences that I'm too tech illiterate to see?

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Bought the optio, like it. No clue about the tech of it.

·
Just a quess, but since the price of the Optio has come down a lot and it has been out a while, I'll bet Pentax will soon be coming out with the new improved model. I have the Optio and like it. I just looked at the specs on the Olympus and it looks a little higher tech with more megapixals.
I also own a Canon 20D and tend to grab the Optio when I go boating for the convenience.

·
Registered
281 Posts
just two bits: get the olympus.

i have noticed in several photos from both the olympus and the pentax mentioned above that that pentax shot "oversaturated" reds, but i haven't had any such issues with past olympus cameras i have used....

good luck.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Went into Mike's and Wolf camera shops and talked to the sales guys. Have to admit that they sold me on the Olympus. 7.1 pixels, 2.8 shots/sec, and he threw the demo across the shop to the concrete floor, picked it up and took a picture of me. It can also be completely submerged to ten feet and take pics. He said that the pic quality and speed with the high speed card was the same as the entry level SLRs. Only two downsides that I saw were the special memory required and the price. Anyone who's not trying to become the next Tao have any reasons not to get this camera? I'd love to hear from someone who's not trying to earn comission.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts