Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More than a few of you have asked me about a kayaker's CPR/First aid class. Well, I finally got it together. It's going to happen at the CKS Paddlefest on Sunday morning, May 24 from 8:00am - noon.

We're going to cover CPR specifically for drowning and lightening victims in addition to first aid considerations for back injuries, dislocated shoulders, fractures and deep lacerations. I'll also bring my first aid kit and go over the necessities - in my opinion most kayakers bring too much, which we'll discuss further. I also plan to lightly touch on field extraction techniques and helicopter safety. This class includes American Heart Association Healthcare Provider CPR curriculum and all participants will become certified and receive a card. The AHA certification is the gold standard for all jobs with a CPR requirement for work (kayak instructors, raft guides, camp counselors, EMTs, nurses, and doctors).

The class costs $40, which covers materials and all proceeds are donated to American Whitewater. I generally charge $65 for just the CPR certification here in Denver, but I genuinely want to get more first aid knowledge out into the paddling community.

A bit about my qualifications: I have been an intensive care nurse for three years in Denver and I've taught CPR and advanced life support to doctors and nurses for the last two years. I have performed CPR on patients approximately 50-100 times and was involved in the successful resuscitation of a drowning victim in Gore canyon. I am also a professional member of the Keystone Ski Patrol. I have kayaked like a fiend for the last 10 years and I'm a member of Team Jackson Kayak and the CKS Squad.

There's only 5 spots left. If you want in, reserve a spot by contacting me at [email protected]. For more information check out the website at CKS PaddleFest 09′ » Paddler’s First Aid and CPR Course.

Joe

·
Registered
165 Posts
hell yea Joe! Nice job, spread the knowledge, and way to make it happen. When you guys run out of water in a month or so, give me a shout
-Paulie

·
Registered
165 Posts
It is starting to go off around here bud, not everything is going yet, but the low elevation, bigger volume stuff is starting to juice. Hard to balance school and boating but I have a week off coming up so I am gonna get in as much boating as I can. Have fun buddy and take care of all those kids back home for me.

P

1 - 4 of 4 Posts