Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried searching, couldn't find anything.

Still trying to learn this, beyond "stay in the range and the boat will act how it should".

What does being UNDER a boat weight range do (besides it sitting higher... which does what exactly?)

What does being OVER a boat weight range do? (opposite of question above, but it sits lower in water)

THANKS! I need to learn :) !!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Are you looking at playboats or creekboats?

Playboats most people tend to lean towards the upper side of the weight range of the boat so you can throw it around a little bit more easily...unless you are looking to throw huge air loops then you want to go a little lower on the weight range for the volume.

Creekboats you usually want to be on the lower to mid range on the boat so you have volume to ride up over waves and punch holes....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any style boat actually... just wanna learn it and what to look for / reasons why.

i dont understand what you are getting at in Weight VS Volume......

someone who's 50lbs heavier than another person, im sure they dont displace THAT MUCH extra air inside the kayak... it seems like its just the weight itself [not physical space taking up volume] that changes how the boat reacts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmmmmm.. sorta answered it..

PS: Is there a way to view boatertalk forum PROPERLY in thread mode?
all i see are the replies in "tree mode" and its HORRIBLE!! if you know what im talking about.. gotta click on the titles to read their replies

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I think that tree mode is new....never had it happen before until yesterday....

The amount of physical space being displaced by the paddler and gear has virtually no impact on the handling of the boat beyond the weight distribution.

A paddler at the upper weight range of a boat will sit lower in the water and be affected much more by currents, and will be significantly slower.

Conversely, a paddler at the lower end of the weight range will be faster and more likely to just float through features with less effort.

One thing I have found is that it seems to be easier to roll a boat if you are right at, or at the upper end of suggested paddler weight (at least for me, I am small). This will also force to you become a better paddler, it will make you learn to read the water better, rather than relying on the boat the get you through.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts