Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good boat to use on a grand canyon trip? I have an ace 4.7 and a microbat 230 but neither of these sound fun in really big water.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I think an Ace should do pretty well.....you can play in it (shit, no flatwater loops though), catch bigger (well, flatter anyway) waves than in today's generation of playspuds and it should have enough speed to get to where you need to go. Im pretty sure it would be noteably faster than an EZ.....when I paddled some higher volume stuff last spring, friends in Aces were getting places and making moves (crossing the river) faster than I could in my Space Cadet...at the same time, they were getting squirted all over the place and I never did. Why??? No slicy stern to catch and squirt.
What you have (Ace) seems like a pretty good choice...plus, its pretty low volume, meaning that you can melt through big holes that a creekboat might get stuck in.
Have fun.

Guska's idea about the ez is good......great boat in most any situation.

·
Registered
389 Posts
One thing to consider is that the Grand Canyon trip requires you to spend much time in your boat for 2 weeks. Your boat better be comfortable. You may also want a bent shaft paddle to ease the strain on your wrists.

With big water and big waves, I don't think a short boat is the way to go.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I personally think you would need a bigger boat. I took a Delerious down and it was too short for most of the waves. cstork is right, you want a boat that is very comfertable to be in.
JK

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ibis? Grand Canyon? Ok, I'll call you later. Just remember, you are looking at about 220 miles of flat water and easy current for 5 miles of significant rapids. Go with what is most comfortable. Everyone talks about boats for play on the Grand, but I guess I suck because I never found any. If you want, I could loan you my Grand Canyon dry bag (duffle style Wild Wasser) and a paco pad (2" thick delux model).

Jennifer

·
Registered
790 Posts
Do most of you kayakers not ride on the raft during a majority of the flatwater segments??? This is what I have always doen on multi day Colorad/Green trips (though never been on the Grand) and thought it was the standard....chillin on the raft, drinking beer, helping with rowing and dragging the kayaks....then kayakers jump in their boats for the rapids. Consider that you might be doing that and therefore the most fun boat will probably be the best choice. Of course you want it to be comfortable....but is any kayak really comfortable on flatwater for hours and hours at a time?? (I mean you can paddle 6-8 hours a day on a creek run....but the rapids distract you from major discomfort).

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah Meng, I usually spent time in the raft every day, but with the water so cold, and the air so warm when I was there (we are talking bathing suit on the raft, and layers of pile with dry top in the kayak) it gets old going back and forth several times a day with all the changing and storing of gear. Plus, space on the raft can sometimes be an issue with 16 people on a 16 day trip, depending on how people pack, and how many rafts there are. During my first trip we only had 2 rafts and tying on kayaks in the wind would have comical at best.

Jennifer

·
Super Moderator
4,017 Posts
I'll bring a 16-ft self-bailing raft and carry your beer! :D

--Andy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts