Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When hanging boats from the rafters, should one hang them cockpit facing down equally supported by webbing or cockpit to the side again equally supported by webbing?

Over the winter I was able to keep my boats of the porch protected from the elements, now that it's spring I got the kibash from the girlfriend on keeping them there and have to hang them.

Discuss...

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
When hanging boats from the rafters, should one hang them cockpit facing down equally supported by webbing or cockpit to the side again equally supported by webbing?

Over the winter I was able to keep my boats of the porch protected from the elements, now that it's spring I got the kibash from the girlfriend on keeping them there and have to hang them.

Discuss...
IMHO, ww boats are too short to care.
I've always hung my sea kayaks up cockpit up. I generally hang them by the grab loops even though a strap or two near the cockpit is supposed to be a better idea to keep them from warping.

It rarely gets over 95ºF around here in the summertime, so I've never worried about it.

...and I like rocker in sea kayaks!

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I can't argue with that.

I should have also said that while unlikely, I'd rather not get a sideways twist or curve in my boat. Again, much less likely with a ww boat than a long boat.

·
Registered
330 Posts
A friend stored his canoe and kayak cockpit up in a barn, suspended from the rafters. The roof developed a leak, the boats filled with hundreds of pounds of water, folded in half and ripped part of the rafters down in the process of self destructing. I would say cockpit down.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Can cockpit down cause oil canning in some ww kayaks? A local shop has a Dynamic Duo that was stored indoors on the floor cockpit up for at least a year, maybe longer. They have since stored it outdoors for almost a year and when I looked it over a few months ago there was definite oil canning beneath both seats.

Was that caused from the original storage on the floor, or subsequent storage outside with cockpit down?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts