Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope to run the Dolores this Spring if there is an adequate release. I have a 16' NRS River Cat and a friend suggested that it might be too large a boat for the river. Anyone had any experience running a 16' cat on the Dolores?

·
Cactus Jack
10 Posts
I hope to run the Dolores this Spring if there is an adequate release. I have a 16' NRS River Cat and a friend suggested that it might be too large a boat for the river. Anyone had any experience running a 16' cat on the Dolores?
You should have no problem. When I ran it for Buffalo Joe we would have an avon pro on these trips many times. We took a 16' just 2 years ago on a private trip and it did just fine. Have fun!!! I've been running the Dolores since 1976 and have seen many levels. If it's running your boat should be fine.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I've run my 18' cat in '05, no problem at peak flows. I used to run a 15' double tube Hyside down it in the early to mid '90s at various flows, also never any problem--even though the boat was 8' wide.

·
Registered
312 Posts
does anyone know what the flow will be? what, with the flow advice the dam operators provide public boaters had better have both the rafts and canoes loaded up just in case. there is room for improvement for that aspect of dam operations. I dont hear the aggies bitching about flow...

·
Registered
399 Posts
The way they control the release it's either go or no go. Typical relaese is about 1000 - 1500 cfs. If they shut it down, you'd have a tough time getting a duckie down it (100 cfs). If you watch the oprators website they will try to give you an estimate but no promises. Last year on memorial day looked like they were going to shut it down two days before the weekend (we bailed) then a major rain hit and they released 2800 all weekend. Tough to plan a late season trip

1 - 9 of 9 Posts