Mountain Buzz banner
161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Sorry, but the chair is a perfect example. If you bring a bunch of bulky stuff when everybody else is lean and mean, you should have to live with that. There’s no point in everyone else suffering for someone being excessive.
Of course we’re talking about extra stuff, not necessary group gear.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sorry, but the chair is a perfect example. If you bring a bunch of bulky stuff when everybody else is lean and mean, you should have to live with that. There’s no point in everyone else suffering for someone being excessive.
Of course we’re talking about extra stuff, not necessary group gear.
Seems like two different notions here.

No, you should not bring excessive stuff and expect someone to accommodate your excessiveness.

Yes you should certainly put a little extra effort into helping with group gear, even if it upsets your perfect rig. Ie: firepan, water jugs, etc…

Maybe three; if you are excessive and your excessiveness overloads your boat rendering you unable to accommodate any group gear of any size/shape, please load your boat and gear back into your rig and show yourself out.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Seems like two different notions here.

No, you should not bring excessive stuff and expect someone to accommodate your excessiveness.

Yes you should certainly put a little extra effort into helping with group gear, even if it upsets your perfect rig. Ie: firepan, water jugs, etc…

Maybe three; if you are excessive and your excessiveness overloads your boat rendering you unable to accommodate any group gear of any size/shape, please load your boat and gear back into your rig and show yourself out.
Zactly.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I guess I boat with the wrong people. None of the great people I boat with would even think about asking someone else to carry any personal gear of anyone they invited along. So that didn’t even register as a possible pet peeve.
So my new pet peeve is people bitching about quirks of people like OMR who they invite along because no one else will go with them because of bad experiences like being threatened with assault for touching their straps.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Ok, yeah, that's what I was wondering. Basically is "hey, man, I brought too much personal shit that only I'm gonna use and it won't fit in my boat, will you carry it for me?" something that I'm expected to accommodate vs. "hey, new guy, you're carrying the groover" which is something I completely expect.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I've got a big boat and I'm strong enough to move it around when it's heavy.
I'll gladly bring the groover, kitchen, firepan and table, extra chairs for people to use and wouldn't expect anyone else to carry any of it.

But if you think I'm gonna pack the guitar you're just learning to play, or the IK you'll only use one or two afternoons, you can pound sand.

Unless you're a hot chick and sleeping with me.
Then it'll be my cots taking the pounding. 😎

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good call. I once had to blow up a rolled IK on my boat to paddle it and some equipment into the room of doom to help my coworker who had flipped in skull hole and was upside down in the room with his 4 passengers. The IK was the only way I could have gotten in there to help them.
I just need to know if it was Hhan? -KJJ

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 · (Edited)
I can't believe nobody talked about the other rafter with the perfectly dialed boat that won't take any of the weird hard to tie down stuff. I can forgive newbies and non-boaters for almost anything, but experienced guides that "can't" take that funky folding chair someone brought drives me nuts.

My other but minor pet peeve is not giving the tl a break. They seem to have twice the work on the river and way more pre and post trip work but not given a break on duty roster.
To me, showing up with some odd-sized piece of extra cumbersome gear, like a giant folding chair, then expecting someone else to carry it, would be a jerk move.

The way the crew I boat with works is: bring anything you want on your own boat. Everyone carries some group gear like groover, water, kitchen, tarp, etc, but this is planned and agreed on WAY in advance. All passenger gear goes on the boat of the person who invited them.

Good etiquette is for passengers to hump communal gear from beach to camp, volunteer for groover duty, offer to help with meal clean up (even if they aren’t on the meal crew), and to be johnny on the spot as a general swamper.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
To me, showing up with some odd-sized piece of extra cumbersome gear, like a giant folding chair, then expecting someone else to carry it, would be a jerk move.

The way the crew I boat with works is: ring anything you want on your own boat. Everyone carries some group gear like groover, water, kitchen, tarp, etc, but this is planned and agreed on WAY in advance. All passenger gear goes on the boat of the person who invited them.

Good etiquette is for passengers to hump communal gear from beach to camp, volunteer for groover duty, offer to help with meal clean up (even if they aren’t on the meal crew), and to be johnny on the spot as a general swamper.
This is a great, succinct way to put it.

161 - 175 of 175 Posts