Mountain Buzz banner
121 - 140 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Honest questions...how much gear do you bring that your stack gets that high? Here's a 15' boat for two on an 8 day with all the group fire, 2 5-gal water jugs, stoves, ash, safety, part of the kitchen, hand wash buckets, room for trash, and shade tarps plus personal gear. Not too tall and I would say as secure as anything. Ever worry about what happens to all the soft dry bags up high if you flip your boat?

No judgement on your preference as I also wonder what people have in the giant santa bags that are shoulder height on some peoples boats.

View attachment 83256
Yeah if I need to use the stern, I have a plywood beaver tail to suspend-rig as a floor and I will keep the load at a height like is shown in the photo. I am thinking of the towering piles I see folks with sometimes. Also, I am an ex guide and we always had passengers in the stern as well as the bow so maybe I am just accustomed to it for that reason.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My main rigging thing is I do not do a gear pile in the stern, unless I absolutely must do because of overflow gear on the trip. In those cases I put items like trash/recycle, wood, buckets etc. back there, or unused kayaks/rolled duckies. I prefer my dry bags attached to the frame solidly, and that they act as padding. Why I do not roll with the stern gear pile - it rarely is possible to secure things as bomber like that compared to attached to the frame; it looks goofy; it affects the spin, draft, and trim of the boat; it impedes people getting on and off, or back in, the boat; it affects the response in windy conditions; I like to hit shore for scouts and at camp with my stern and sometimes need to hop out quickly to catch the boat and a gear pile prevents this. I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, I am just mentioning it and I do not disparage the gear pile technique at all, it is just my personal preference.
I’d be curious to see a picture of your setup if you have one to post.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Honest questions...how much gear do you bring that your stack gets that high? Here's a 15' boat for two on an 8 day with all the group fire, 2 5-gal water jugs, stoves, ash, safety, part of the kitchen, hand wash buckets, room for trash, and shade tarps plus personal gear. Not too tall and I would say as secure as anything. Ever worry about what happens to all the soft dry bags up high if you flip your boat?

No judgement on your preference as I also wonder what people have in the giant santa bags that are shoulder height on some peoples boats.

View attachment 83256
"Honest questions...how much gear do you bring that your stack gets that high?" -- My post was saying specifically that I do not roll with a high stack...
Good points though. I found this photo from a MF trip. I definitely have group stuff in my stern on this trip, and my wife's rig bag on top was pulled up for a minute, I was getting into it for a shirt I think. I am mostly thinking of the towering gear piles I see sometimes, I avoid that. I don't worry about dry bags on the frame corners and they are padding and nice to lean on. Cheers.
Water Plant Boat Plant community Paddle

·
Registered
973 Posts
This shows my boat in what I consider a pretty tight rig without a towering gear pile in the stern...This was a 5 or 6 day Salt River trip.
View attachment 83260
That's impressive! I definitely roll with a gear pile, not sure how else I would do it. Honestly, I like having it back there, to lean on.
The stern of my boat contains(on average)
Groover
Buckets
Propane tank
Dog food bucket
Chairs
Clothes bag(s)
Camp bag(tent, sleeping bags, therma rests, pillows, etc)
Cots
Roll-a-table
Blaster...
And a few misc items.

Water jug goes on the captain's floor.
Charcoal gets rigged up front. Front dry box is my kitchen, and with my dog\a passenger + beer coolers balances the load very well.

I don't see how I could distribute it elsewhere, without looking like the Clampets.
Impressed that you can make it work!
Water Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Vehicle Watercraft

That was a solo MF\Main trips few years ago. 13 days, I think.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Old Chub is NOT a warm weather beer.
I have a friend who still gets shit about the time he only brought Old Chub on a July Yampa trip.
He figured Old Chub is so good, everyone else would be happy to trade him some lagers for it.
Even thought he might get 2 to 1.:unsure:

:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: BenSlaughter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oohhh! I want to play!

My first pet peeve is when people think they're being 'helpful' when leaving camp and just start piling shit on my boat. Then I have to unload and reload all the gear because the 'helpful' person doesn't know my system.

My second and biggest pet peeve is when I give someone two drybags (a day bag and an overnight bag) and tell them to put everything they need for the day in the small drybag and all your overnight stuff goes in the big bag. Inevitably, someone puts their rain jacket in the overnight bag and it starts raining and I have to stop and spend 10 minutes digging out their overnight bag so they can get their rain jacket.

The empty cans just thrown onto the floor of the boat drives me crazy, especially when people crush them first.
What’s your empty can solution?
right into mesh bag/rocket box?
I usually throw them on the floor and clean up at camp however I just made a significant upgrade to my boating situation and intend on respecting my new raft a hella lot better than my old.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
What’s your empty can solution?
right into mesh bag/rocket box?
I usually throw them on the floor and clean up at camp
You can smash your cans so they don’t have sharp edges. Press 4-5 diagonal wrinkles all around the side of the can and smash/twist. They then won’t slice your boat, your hand or your leg.

And if you drink all your beer, the cans don’t get drippy and sticky. If passengers don’t drink the last sip they should rinse their cans before smashing

A feed sack or light mesh/drag bag makes a good can bag.

Empty cans in my dory go in my oarsmans footwell in front of my footrest or in the side hatch

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Here's what a guy had on a recent trip. He made several cuts radiating from the hole, which was just a hair smaller than beer cans so they don't pop out. The bottom was drilled with many 1/2" holes to allow for draining and it doubled as a pretty good rinsing bucket. That particular boat went through a LOT of cans, the bucket was up to the task.

Water Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Vehicle Boat

·
Registered
318 Posts
Here's what a guy had on a recent trip. He made several cuts radiating from the hole, which was just a hair smaller than beer cans so they don't pop out. The bottom was drilled with many 1/2" holes to allow for draining and it doubled as a pretty good rinsing bucket. That particular boat went through a LOT of cans, the bucket was up to the task.

View attachment 83281
I made the exact same thing with a 2.5 gallon bucket, a PVC floor drain fitting and a round boat patch. We call it "Cangina" and it works great to keep empties stashed away. Fair warning, everyone on your trip will want to put their cans into Cangina.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

View attachment 83281
We use buckets with a hole as well... just clipped on the top of my everything bag.

Cheap, works great, no leaking onto my gear or boat, no sharp edges to worry about.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Cans go in a mesh drag bag clipped into the cockpit. Then, at camp, they get smashed by a hood and proper can hammer and stowed. View attachment 83343 View attachment 83344
Woah, where can I get me one of those?

How timely that I was going to post my pet peeve about giant groups cluelessly spread out across the lauch ramp. My most recent experience being at Sand Island in July where such a group had their stuff spread out everywhere so that even the ranger could barely sneak by to get his boat in the water. And as I was trying to push off to escape their sh!tshow, they started badgering me about whether had accidentally grabbed one of their deadblow hammers. You know, the same orange indistinguishable one was all have. Just laughed and rowed away...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Reactions: IDriverRunner
121 - 140 of 175 Posts