Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After following Mtn Buzz for a while now, I’m pretty sure there must be other people on here like me that are borderline OCD when it comes to rigging.

My particular pet peeve is unrolled paco pads. I slipped on one once, and nearly busted my rear end. Ever since, I’ve kind of declared war on rigging them unrolled. Everyone thinks I’m nuts, but they don’t go on my boat unrolled, especially if we’re fishing. I’m also a bit fanatical about symmetry.

What other pet peeves do people have? I need some extra examples in order to prove to my SO that I’m not crazy about rigging.

I know a boater that is a pilot who has a weight and balance sheet for his boat.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I generally don’t care how anyone rigs their boat. But it drives me nuts when they don’t hitch their straps, or use loop straps and have no plan to their rigging. So when they unrig, they have a pile of loose straps in their boat making rerigging an incredibly drawn out process. When they rerig they are reinventing the wheel every damn day.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It’s hopeless with kids. They’ve either ditched to ride elsewhere or there’s a bunch of other kids with them on ours. Planning for that shift in several hundred pounds is more about how many rice crispy treats you’ve got on your boat.

Edit: we usually inflate the raft at or near the launch but have the frame pre assembled on the trailer. Like to have almost all needed straps already attached to the frame while at home to simplify rigging at the launch. One time came down to the ramp to rig after parking the truck and found all my pre-placed straps in a nice pile on the ground. Wife and kids had removed all of them to “help”. Lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
After following Mtn Buzz for a while now, I’m pretty sure there must be other people on here like me that are borderline OCD when it comes to rigging.

My particular pet peeve is unrolled paco pads. I slipped on one once, and nearly busted my rear end. Ever since, I’ve kind of declared war on rigging them unrolled. Everyone thinks I’m nuts, but they don’t go on my boat unrolled, especially if we’re fishing. I’m also a bit fanatical about symmetry.

What other pet peeves do people have? I need some extra examples in order to prove to my old lady that I’m not crazy about rigging.

I know a boater that is a pilot who has a weight and balance sheet for his boat.
I rarely post - long time member but just usually watch and listen. I used to get tense watching all sorts of people rig their boats, but decades of boating later, I offer the following:

First - if I ever called my wife my "old lady" I would either be divorced or a eunuch. I'm not her "old man", and we will be together until the end of time. Personal rant here...
Second - How do you bust your rear end ?
Third - rig your boat the way you want to rig your boat. If others in your flotilla are taking more time rigging, sit back, put on your sunscreen, and have a breakfast brew - you don't have to row their boat. Aren't we out there to enjoy our time ? Balance sheet ? WTF ? But if that's what trips their trigger, more power to them
And fourth - if you are that perplexed about the people you're rowing with, you're probably rowing with the wrong people. Only two things can f__k up a river trip - bad weather and bad people. We can control one. And if have the right people, bad weather isn't an issue.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm pretty borderline OCD on my boat, and have spent WAY too many hours sitting on the frame in the garage trying to get it dialed. BUT, as long as you're ready to shove off at the agreed upon time, your boat is your boat to rig as you please. If you wanna get up an hour earlier and futz all morning long, you do you. I'll sleep in, have the extra cup of tea and have my boat ready to go at the same time. Now, if you make me wait for you because you are going full-on Clampett style and missed our departure time.... That's another beast. :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I’ll cut you a lot of slack rigging the first day or two. After that, not so much. I have a river bud who “reinvents the wheel” every damn day. Painful to watch unless you have a cold/hot beverage in your hands and a chair.
Hey, I boat with that same guy!!! It’s like Groundhog Day, every day!

Lackluster skills at one thing, or another, is no reason to excommunicate a member of your crew.
The particular fellow I have in mind is one of my closest friends since we were toddlers, as were our fathers. He is an absolute gong show when it comes to rigging. Otherwise he is a ball to have around. Hilarious, easy going and a baller of a cook. He’s the first call when I snag a permit. Does he drive me nuts with his rigging? Yup. Do I enjoy a beer and love every minute of relentlessly taunting him while he swears at NRS straps? Also yup.
I worry about some of you with hard fast rules for jettisoning friends because they don’t meet muster over trivial things.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Fiddlef#*king with gear is a time-honored tradition. But not at the launch, have some civility please.
Man, I’m usually boating with my two kids, who do help a lot, but if my poop isn’t in a pile, it makes trips exhausting. A well organized gear pile makes a trip so much more enjoyable. To each their own, but I can’t understand how guys can be so disheveled.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My pet peeve is other people tightening my straps:
1. Just before I drive over a mountain pass, with low inflation.
2. Early on a cold morning just before the hot sun hits my tubes.
3. While I am strapping on my raft frame, so it gets pulled too far port or starboard and I have to loosen them again to center the frame. This reminds me of people who crank down on the first fkin lug nut after they change a tire. When I rig, I start with all straps loose.

This particularly annoys me when boat inspectors do it, or strangers do it. Keep your hands off other people's boats unless you have permission.

Also, I like my cam buckles in a direction that I can pull to tighten from inside the cockpit.

Also, if I am carrying your gear (kayakers), please don't be the last one to break your camp.

I also don't like it when passengers crush and throw their beer cans on my drop-stitch floor or when they drop cherry pits and other trash. Put it in your pocket or ask me where to put it, please.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I run a pretty tight rig.
Everything has a specific place.
I can see using paco's as seat pads, but can't get behind the idea of sitting on a stack of 3-4 of em. Mine get rolled and strapped in the gear pile, although now that I have cots, they stay home.
Keep yer hands off my rig. There's a 97% chance I'm going to have to undo whatever you tried doing.
Wheel Watercraft Tire Sky Vehicle

Aside from strapping the beer coolers to the trays up front, and unstrapping it from the trailer, that's completely ready to go in the water.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts