Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
How are you guys doing? I had a few questions and thought this would be a good place to ask them. I've been wanting to get into kayaking for a while and am trying to find a good boat to suit my needs. Here's where I'm at?
- I'm new to this whole thing so I'm looking for a boat that would be good for a beginner.
- I'm looking to do mostly river running, though I wouldn't mind a boat that could paddle flatwater too. I don't know if I will really get into the whole playboat thing, so yeah...
- CHEAP. Don't have a lot of money
- so basically I'm looking for a good all-around boat. Now I have some specific questions on boats.
-The ESKIMO CERRO
-it looks like a good boat and something I might be interested in. made solid, can handle whitewater, but i've heard that it paddles flatwater pretty good too. something that might interest me. I know it can't really play, but i'm just starting out. what do you guys think? one problem is I can't seem to find any used ones cheap
The ESKIMO KENDO
- it also looks like a good boat. it has a lot more play potential, but my question is can it paddle flatwater incase I wanted to take it out for a flatwater paddle, I do know someone who is selling one for a pretty good price
Pyranha Mountain 300 creek boat.
The reason I put this one here is cause I think I can get one under 150, maybe even for around 100, so...
Oh... I should probably tell you about myself and the other person who I'm looking for a boat for.
I am about 5'11 and weigh 190-195.
The other person is my girlfriend who is prolly about 5'6 or 5'7 and 120-140.
I was thinking maybe the eskimo kendo for myself and the pyranha mountain for her. I know that that boat is probably a lil to big for her, but I'm probably a little more aggressive than her, so... would she outgrow this boat way to quick? How about me and the kendo? Could both of them be paddled in flatwater?
I'm looking for as cheap as I can go. I think the kendo will be about 175 and may include and old paddle. Welll any other ideas? Thanks!
In Christ,
Kevin
So... any other ideas? What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!
In Christ,
Kevin

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you look on the gear swap page, I have a great boat for your girlfriend. Sounds like she's about the same size as me, and I'm selling a full package. A pyanna innazone 222 + gear. Perfect for beginner/intermediate river running and front surfing. You can look at the picture of the gear and see what you think. It's the yellow boat. my email is [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
4,035 Posts
As you're just getting into boating, don't forget that you'll need to get some swift-water rescue training and, just as important, you'll need to learn how to conduct a proper safety meeting! :lol:

--Andy

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
You should buy my wavesport Z

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I would sell it for $325 if you came to the Springs to get it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Kevin,

You ask many questions…perhaps too many to answer all at once. If you haven’t already done so, you should consider getting some quality instruction to learn to roll and avoid common whitewater dangers. You can take classes offered by any paddle shop, or possibly find a friendly, experience boater that can show you the ropes. Whitewater clubs are another possibility to investigate. You might even want to get instruction before you select boats, since you will get a chance to try one or more different boats as you learn.

If you want to get the boats first, here are a few thoughts:

I wouldn’t give much weight to a boat’s flatwater capabilities, unless you plan to paddle mostly flatwater and no water more difficult than class II. A boat that performs well on flat water (i.e., it goes straight real well) will be hard to learn to paddle in whitewater (it won’t be very safe or much fun either). But, a boat that runs rapids well will do just fine on flatwater. You’ll just have to work a bit harder to keep it going straight or to go long distances, which is good practice and exercise anyway. If you’re planning to eventually run class III (a motivated paddler will often do this his/her first season of paddling) and do long flatwater tours (several miles or more) you should probably be looking at two different boats.

I don’t know a lot about the boats you mention. My impression is that the Kendo might be a bit small for you; you might fit, but you are probably over its ideal weight range. It might be a decent boat for your girlfriend to learn in though. The Mountain 300 is probably too big for her, though you could probably learn in it. Of course, both of these boats are fairly old designs. You should consider getting a boat with a planing hull (i.e., flat). (The Inazone 222 would be an example of this.) You might be able to search the message board for more information on the benefits of planing hulls in kayaking…that discussion is worthy of another lengthy post.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kevin-

I'm looking to sell off all of my equipment...All of my stuff is probably going to be a perfect fo your, because I'm also 5'11" and weight 195 lbs...I'm moving back to the midwest in a couple of weeks...Give me a ring...I live in South Denver...

Jon
720-488-5158

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Hey Mango,
What type of equipment you selling and how much? I don't have a lot of money to spend now, so...
Paul... thanks for the great response! Yeah, I am definetely planning on getting some instruction. No way would I just go into paddling whitewater without proper instruction.
As to the flatwater. Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm not oging to buy just based on the flatwater preformance. I was just curious how the boats would paddle and if you could take them out on a lake or river and they would work fine. I would in the future like to get a touring boat, but again money, but if the whitewater boat I got could paddle a lil on flatwater that would be nice. I know it wouldn't track well or anything.
Lastly,
Yeah, I'll have to check on the boats a little. There are some boats I would probably prefer over the kendo, but again money is an issue and I can score a great deal on the kendo. Well... TTYL!
In Christ,
Kevin

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm selling my perception method air boat, paddle, skirt, bomber shell, and my stolquist pfd...It's all in great shape...Was looking to get $600 for all of it...Would be willing to sell what you need...

I'm leaving town soon...Give me a call

jon
720-488-5158

1 - 11 of 11 Posts