Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a small raft to R2. I see Saturn makes a 9.5' boat that is pry all I need but also see these Hyside 10.5' boats that are about twice as expensive.

There has got to be a reason Saturn's are cheap but has anyone actually trashed one? I would pry use the thing weekly on day runs in BV.

Is the Hyside worth spending the extra grand? I was in a 10' Sotar that was fun but $3k+ is out of what I realistically want to spend.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've been keeping my eye out for a great deal on a similar boat. I came across one made by Maxxon with a cheap listed price, although I have never heard of anyone owning one.

I think Maxxon used to be a big(ish) name in the biz (cat tubes atleast?), but not so much anymore for whatever reasons. So I have no clue what kind of risk one might be taking getting one, but the price was right.....could have been a scam, I didn't really look into it too hard.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am in the market for a small raft to R2. I see Saturn makes a 9.5' boat that is pry all I need but also see these Hyside 10.5' boats that are about twice as expensive.

There has got to be a reason Saturn's are cheap but has anyone actually trashed one? I would pry use the thing weekly on day runs in BV.

Is the Hyside worth spending the extra grand? I was in a 10' Sotar that was fun but $3k+ is out of what I realistically want to spend.

I love R2 boats. I own a hyside paddlecat (shredder) and a hyside mini max.

You get what u pay for !

There are reasons hyside, aire, sotar, nrs , etc boats cost more.

THEY ARE BUILT BETTER

That said most private boaters will never put the kind of wear and use on a boat as the outfitter, so maybe the saturn will be durable enough.

BUT just looking at the used rafts here, I see few used saturns and lots of premium boats for sale used.

either saturn owners love their boats and never sell them, or they fall apart and become worthless for resale.

personally I suggest going with a premium boat, new or used over a saturn, at least then you will have a boat with good resale value if u want to change boats.

I LOVE my paddlecat (shredder) it ROCKS for R2ing. Also love the light weight sub 50 lbs and small size lets you take as checked luggage when u fly to costa rica - or wherever no extra fee.

Hope that helps

Paddle on:cool:

shredder scott

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I have decided on a Mini-Max or a RMR. The seams are significantly stronger on a Hyside even over a RMR and 13 lb weight difference which is a lot because if there is a great rapid two guys could re-hike the line carrying the boat out of the water several times with ease.

Hyside will likely be purchased shortly. . .

·
Registered
447 Posts
Saturns rock great boat for the money! Search saturn on here. Its the kinda boat you'll have for years! perfect for R 2. There is no reason they're cheaper.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Black boat will heat up significantly- then it gets cloudy and your pressure drops. Dumb idea to buy a black boat unless you are a duck hunter or a covert operative. Why not a shredder???

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
267 Posts
what do yall think about the Mini Max Neo(prene)?

I dont know how i feel about a black raft. Just imagining being cooked on the river and my butt getting burned every time I sit down
Hey

I agree with Osseous why not rock the paddlecat ? It is the pure R2 machine, it is lighter than the max also.

I LOVE MY PADDLECAT !!! :D I have flown out east with it, and ran the Ococee and Chattoga. I have run ckear crek, baley, and gore, it is a great class III- V boat.

BUT goto be fair, I have seen mini maxs R2 all the same runs, plus the max is a R4 boat when needed, while the paddlecat is a pure R2 machine.

I just recived my new hyside mini max today to go with my current paddlecat.

I paided the extra for hypalon, BUT I have seen neo version rock class V waters to plus the neo is a little lighter, and seems to roll smaller

Hope that helps

paddle on

shredder scott

·
Registered
323 Posts
I understand the reasoning, but think you should go up. I started out looking for just a cheap occasional use boat, and instead bought a very good condition used Vanguard almost by accident. Now in year 4, I find myself very thankful I spent the extra bucks. I would haggle with Holly on price, but I would buy one of her boats again without hesitation, even if I had to go new. Everything works, all the time, without worry, the parts are bomber, the construction is bomber, support, even on a used boat, is flawless. Five days down a canyon, I don't worry about how my boat will hold up on day 6. The kid and I plan a GC trip in '16, and we plan on rowing that boat. I didn't know that when I started.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found a guy here in CO that has a 10.5' boat that he does not know much about. It looks new and he was told it was manufactured in China but it was a contract job for an American rafting/Adventure company in Costa Rica. Well he bought it this spring and we are taking it out on Thursday for a test run down Clear Creek from Tunnel 1. The price he is asking is quite cheap and if all goes well I will likely take it off of his hands.

Anyone heard of anything like this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts