Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
    • Creation of the Confluence Recreation Area that will include a picnic area, walking trails, a take-out for river floaters, wheelchair-accessible fishing access and significant fishery habitat enhancements to this stretch of the Blue River near its confluence with the Colorado River.
    • Development of a seasonal take-out and rest stop at Spring Creek Road Bridge.
    • Establishment of the Green Mountain Canyon Trailhead.

more info here. Land Exchange - Blue Valley Ranch

· Registered
45 Posts
The big drawback is that (as I understand it) is you can take out, but you can't put in at Spring Creek. This means you still have to deal with lining your boat down the bank to put in below the dam. If the Bureau of Reclamation ever decided they want to limit the use of the land below the dam, there would be no access to the Blue below the dam.

· Registered
409 Posts
The big drawback is that (as I understand it) is you can take out, but you can't put in at Spring Creek. This means you still have to deal with lining your boat down the bank to put in below the dam. If the Bureau of Reclamation ever decided they want to limit the use of the land below the dam, there would be no access to the Blue below the dam.
How is this enforced?

· Registered
409 Posts
It's not. While I've never put in at spring creek there ain't nothing stopping ya except a sign, a railing, and a shitty hike down to the river.
I guess I meant in the future, once theres a "
  • Development of a seasonal take-out and rest stop at Spring Creek Road Bridge.
What would stop you from putting in there? Can't say I've ever seen access that only allows taking out.

· Registered
45 Posts
The takeout at Spring Creek is on Jones property. He allows people to use his land to exit the river. He does not want people using it to float his land for obvious reasons (see the upper c ) Getting a proper take out below the trough road will be a good thing. I'm jealous of the land owners who have the access to the east of Jones place. They already have their own put in and now Jones will be making them a take out.

· addict
784 Posts
How will this affect the Gore Canyon launch site at the confluence? The description of a "Confluence Recreation Area" sounds like a lot of infrastructure to be built in a place with a relatively small footprint. More traffic until these modifications are in place? The parking at the confluence of the Blue and Colorado is already pushed to capacity on some August weekends.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How will this affect the Gore Canyon launch site at the confluence? The description of a "Confluence Recreation Area" sounds like a lot of infrastructure to be built in a place with a relatively small footprint. More traffic until these modifications are in place? The parking at the confluence of the Blue and Colorado is already pushed to capacity on some August weekends.
You can see the plans for more parking ect on the Blue Valley web site.

· Registered
50 Posts
While I recognize the ranch owner has done quite a bit to preserve habitat and wildlife, this exchange sure seems to be more of a play to minimize river traffic on a very navigable river, that just happens to run by his house. Surely, this whole event was initiated by Jones and his people. Yes, the net acreage exchange seems to indicate some semblance of goodwill, but I only see a greater restriction to overall river access. While improvements at the confluence with the Colorado will be nice, the “seasonal” take-out at Spring Creek seems like a red herring…. The very fact it’s called a “take-out“ and not a boat ramp or “put-in” speaks volumes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts