Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found Walmart now carries bleach tablets sold under the label Evolve. Evolve® Cleaning Directions | Novabella® Inc. And another called Clearon http://www.clearon.com/clearon-bleach-tablets/

It says to use one tablet to "clean, deodorize, and remove mildew stains" per gallon of water. I'm trying to determine if this would work to sanitize dishwashing water. I'm thinking I would need far less than 1 tablet for sanitizing but can't figure what would be the right amount. Any chemists out there?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bleaching water

8 drops of bleach per gallon of water

Emergency Water Purification Calculator
That's a great article. While on my last Grand trip we just filled up at side springs and creeks the whole trip and bleached them with 20+ drops per 5 gallon and had no problems - saved a whole lot of pumping! Removing the lids for several hours did a great job of letting the bleach evaporate so as not effect the taste.

·
Registered
231 Posts
We used bleach tablets on a Deso trip. They are great. So nice to not have to worry about bleach spilling.

·
Registered
972 Posts
We used bleach tablets on a Deso trip. They are great. So nice to not have to worry about bleach spilling.
Was it easy to break off 1/8 of a tablet? I assume this was mostly used for dishwater.

·
Registered
175 Posts
That's a great article. While on my last Grand trip we just filled up at side springs and creeks the whole trip and bleached them with 20+ drops per 5 gallon and had no problems - saved a whole lot of pumping! Removing the lids for several hours did a great job of letting the bleach evaporate so as not effect the taste.
I'm trying to remember if I've ever actually seen you drink water!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm sure 1/4 of a tab would be correct, but being "more is better" kind of people we splurged and just put a whole tab in our rinse water. Nobody got sick, so.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts