Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I have:

I really like the idea of a foldable set up like Partner Steel or even more so the woodland power stove.

The bayou classic is mostly a stand for the burner, which comes off with one 1/4" bolt. Looking exactly like this (if you remove the hose):

What I want to do is make a new stand to hold the old burner. A stand that is foldable or breaks down in some way to make it much easier to stow/haul/pack.

I have a few ideas but am not really happy with any of the them.

My question is: Any ideas on how to best accomplish this feat?

·
Pieter Porcupine
284 Posts
(Master)Blasters

Sorry for the noob question but what is all the hype about blasters? I have been camping/boating for a number of years and have not seen anyone with one of these. Other than pure btu's how are they better/worse than another normal stove?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the noob question but what is all the hype about blasters? I have been camping/boating for a number of years and have not seen anyone with one of these. Other than pure btu's how are they better/worse than another normal stove?

Thanks!
Because they kick ass. They boil water fast and are a great way too run large pots, strange large woks and other exciting devices. I use mine more than my stoves. Not just on the river but car camping and at home.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I made one from similar burner. Folds up to fit in small ammo box. I ll try to dig it out for some pictures.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Can't wait for pictures!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've modified a blaster two ways. The first was just reworking the legs to a dimension to allow it to fit into a rocket box. A second blaster was pulled apart and the burner was put into a Coleman stove box I picked up at a local thrift store. Both work well. I'll see if I can dig them out for pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been stuck on the leg modification concept for years. It just really will only be marginally better with my blaster. Coleman box is a great idea. I've even got one. .. still looking for other ideas but currently the old Coleman box is leading the race.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
111 Posts
Me too

While in Mexico this winter, I picked up a new Blaster style burner at a market for $7...I'm also looking forward to what others have done.

Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Their web page says you get 185,000 BTU out of that 3.5" burner at high pressure, say 20 psi. The main challenge will be to attach it to something that will not also get blasted. Thus the frame it currently is in has multiple beefy circular heat shields.
So you should tack it into a green sheet-metal Colman stove box and blast away. Stuff is gonna melt! Send us pictures

Good Luck, from an ex-propane mechanic and pyro.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Their web page says you get 185,000 BTU out of that 3.5" burner at high pressure, say 20 psi. The main challenge will be to attach it to something that will not also get blasted. Thus the frame it currently is in has multiple beefy circular heat shields.
So you should tack it into a green sheet-metal Colman stove box and blast away. Stuff is gonna melt! Send us pictures

I'd agree some common sense is needed. Mine hasn't melted yet. Maybe, as an ex-propane mechanic, you have some ideas??

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts

185,000? or 85,000? 185, would be almost 3 times my woodland if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
as I recall, I can get the stainless steel metal in my woodland red hot if its on high and there is no pots on the top. fyi ...

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've tried repeatedly to contact Woodland: phone(out of service), emails not answered (but don't bounce, so presumably they still have active address thru their website). NRS and others continue to sell the Power Stove, so they either have a heck of an inventory or continue to manufacture.
Bombproof unit, 'though - once I ditched the POV it came with and replaced with full flow one. Original lasted 7-8 years, then started acting up, that's when I started trying to contact Woodland over 2 years ago. Local propane company and advice from buzzards led me to POV, after I changed that no more issues.
Do remember to turn all propane appliances off AND turn off at tank after use. I've been on trips that wasted whole tank of propane by turning off stoves and blaster but leaving tank open - if your connections are perfect, the appliance valves can still get a grain of sand in them that prevents full seal/shut off. If your tank is off/closed, all you'll lose is the gas in the line(s) - which you do anyway whenever you disconnect. But if your tank is open, it can empty pretty quick... and if you have a fire going.... could get nasty in a hurry.
My stoves, my blaster, my tanks go on my trips - and unless I know you know what you're doing, I make and break all connections, every time we pull into and leave camp. Propane is wonderful, big improvement over the wood fires many of us cooked over for years - but it's DANGEROUS and use needs to be stuporvised carefully...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts