Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday July 14th, 2007 will be the first annual EddyFlower Black Rock Race. It’s simple: teams of two race from put-in to eddy below Riga Mortis rapid, two minute interval between teams. Team with the fastest time will be crowned champions and win Palm Dry-Suits and Beer…that’s right BEER!

Here’s the goods!

Registration: 10:30 till 11:30 am at the Golden Whitewater Park. If you are interested in rallying a team to compete, e-mail us at: [email protected]

Registration Costs: 12 pack of beer per competitor & $10.00 per person to cover insurance.

Race Start Time: 12:30 pm.

Prizes: Palm Dry Suits (yes, top of the line dry suits) and BEER!

Course: 6 miles. The put in above Black Rock to the eddy below Riga Mortis. Teams must run Riga Mortis rapid to be eligible for prizes.

Party: 5pm at The Spot in Golden CO. This is where the winners will be announced and prizes handed out!

We are looking for some volunteers to make this happen. If you’d like to be a part of the event email us at: [email protected].
  • Safety (looking for 9 people)
  • Shooting video (looking 3 people)
  • Shuttling spectators and paddlers (looking for 8-10 trucks). We want to minimize the amount of traffic in the canyon.
  • Spectators (trying to get a head count to ensure we have enough shuttles)
For Events Details & Rules - check out the events section, should be up soon - http://www.eddyflower.com/Events.aspx

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Hell yeah! Going to be some good fun! I'm there!

Good prize choices... Beer and drysuits are two of my favorite kayaking accessories...

I guess I'll have to start running rigo this week. :shock:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
50 second penalty if you swim across the finish line :mrgreen: Must run rig to be eligible for prizes.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Paul, you have got to stop bumping this post... more exposure means more competitors means less chance of me winning.
-d

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
change of venue?

Since Clear Creek has dropped to boat shredding levels, and will probably be below 400 by Saturday, why don't we change the location. We can change the event name to the Club Bailey Shootout. Same rules basically apply. Make it top to bottom, and therefore teams will be rewarded if they run and stomp the big ones. Teams can choose to portage anything, but must race the portage. The level should be 500+ to ensure a healthy flow. Safety is not included in the race, so if you think you'll need a rescue you shouldn't race. If you swim you drink a booty. Bring $10 CASH per person ($20 per team) and all of the money will be thrown in the proverbial pot. The winning team will receive ALL of the cash.

I'm assuming we could run this with the same amount of volunteers? Remember, safety is provided only by your paddling partner.

Spectators should put-on before noon.

Who's in?

·
Registered
805 Posts
I thought we decided on the Club Baileys Showdown? Anyway, um ya, like Cutchen McMuffin said, Blackrock is going to be cracking boats left and right and Bailey is at a fine flow all of teh sudden, so I mean why not a little change-up??? We'll even throw in a copy of the new testament for each of the team members in second place. Not trying to derail this whole event... but I mean charging down Bailey at a respectable flow and just having to give her when you usually eddy out and hem and haw over First Falls and SuperMax, now that is a race. Or we could race Big South. I don;t know.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds fun!

ACA insurance is setup for BlackRock, not sure we can change that up with this short of notice...but may be possible.

What do the competitors think, maybe someone should post a poll?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Bailey,Big South not so spectator friendly,can't yu guys show off your bone zone skills,it's not like it's Homestake at 19 cfs or whatever ridiculous level they did it one year.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Black Rock tomorrow

We should definitely get a race going on Bailey at somepoint. I'd help make that happen. Due to the insurance policy our only option for tomorrow is Black Rock. 10:30 am registration begins, 12:30 pm race starts, 5:00 pm party at The Spot.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just like Black Rock @ 400, Eddy Flower Sucks!

Let's race Bailey, 5 falls and supper man should be fun. Not to mention Deer Hunter Falls. I'm in especailly if the Junk Show from the Source footage shows up.

Enforcer sucks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
..race whatever wherever, just don't fnck up our Bailey access.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Winners

Yeah Yeah! The First Annual EddyFlower Black Rock Race was dialed in!

The weather and the level on Black Rock were perfect for yesterday's race. 4 teams rallied and here are the results:

4th Place. Paul Hemming and Eric Bryant. Time: 38m18s
3rd Place: Time Kennedy and Charlie Ebel. Time: 36m19s
2nd Place: Luke Pennington and Ben Capithorn: Time: 35m18s
1st Place: Kyle McCutchen and Fred Zacherl. Time: 35m4s. Congrats!

Kyle and Fred will be styling new Palm Dry Suits later this fall.

Thanks to Mike, Cliff and Ben for running safety. Thanks to Egan and Laura for shooting video and for all the people that came to watch!

Cheers,

EddyFlower

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks to the EddyFlower peeps for putting the race on. Hopefully this event continues to grow every year and more paddlers keep coming out, it's a good time and a good race!

14 seconds, pfffftttt!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts