Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
doesn't need a fake name
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've been keeping track of things, you know that the Black canyon will be running about 1600 cfs for the next few months. I've always maintained that Colorado has an offseason because of the lack of water, not the temperature. Ben Luck helped prove me right this weekend with a quick saturday lap. Check out a few photos in the trip report:

Leif and Natalie: Black Canyon... in December

And if you're too lazy to read the report and want three details right away, no we didn't run the 3 big ones. We were scared, since it was cold and the water was high.

I wouldn't recommend this as a first time flow for this run, and I want to draw special attention to the fact that we got up at 4:00 AM and finished just before dark. With that said, woo hoo! It was great and everyone should do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Nice Work, great write up and amazing pictures. Appreciate the much needed stoke! There's not too many TRs that can combine snow, fantastic rapids and Frost Trolls.

·
doesn't need a fake name
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ben was right about the snow making it warmer. We actually had a pretty warm day, all things considered. Well, I was warm. Ben got cold waiting for me.

·
Registered
269 Posts
So, does snow kill poison ivy?

·
Registered
146 Posts
What kind of antifreeze are you boys running in your systems?

That trip definitely took stamina and guts. Thanks for sharing the words and pics Leif and Ben.

·
doesn't need a fake name
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chuckar was still fine for us (or at least, as fine as it ever is), but we were there for what I think was one of the first snows, and it was cold. If it warms up and melts a little, it could get a lot worse. We saw tracks from a couple people that came in during the day while we were paddling. Some of them made it all the way, some of them parked farther out and hiked in. 4 wheel drive and clearance were very convenient.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts