Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
no tengo
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so its at 750 now - but would it be iced up I suppose. Is there a schedule of releases somewhere?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I don't remember exactly what phone number to call, but I called up the black canyon national park office, and they ended up getting me a phone number for the guys that operate the dam. I called them and asked them what the plan was. (last year). They would probably be the ones to call up. Very helpful as I recall. Just start calling around to the park, BLM etc and somebody should be albe to get you there.

·
Registered
156 Posts
call BeuWreck

The Buereau (or however the hell you spell that) of Reclamation runs the dam-- you can ask NPS @ Black Canyon which office to call, as they might give you a prediction "but that is subject to change."
There's a guy in Crusty Butt named Milo who knows the deal
-C

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mania-

You must be mind reading. I've been thinking about it since the last bc post, even found a yaker that's been down and cool with rubber tagging along.

By the way I might end up in Dgo this summer, you'll have to show me the fun stuff down there.

Jed

·
no tengo
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got this kind reply from the park service.

Unfortunately we do not have any sort of reliable means of predicting flow in Morrow Point or Crystal Reservoirs, primarily due to the fact that there are so many variables (electricity demand, unexpected runoff, and water supply needs as determined by the BOR). The Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) does not provide any sort of flow predictions to us and therefore we are unable to assure the user of any sort of maximum flow on any given day. You're right, the only flow information we have is the current flow, as provided by http://waterdata.usgs.gov/co/nwis/uv/?site_no=09128000&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

Typically the ice will begin to break up on the reservoirs in late March and by mid to late April the majority of the ice should be gone. This is, of course, based solely on typical weather, so be sure to check with us before you head out to save you a headache.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us via email or at 970-641-2337 x205.

thanks,

Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
Curecanti National Recreation Area

·
Registered
211 Posts
750 is definately a runnable flow, but the road is still closed to East Portal (last I heard) and there's probably ice in the shady sections. That place is shady enough w/o ice...

The only thing I cant figure out is the erratic release schedule. All summer we had 600 and below flows. Now that its winter we're back up to 700+

I think it would be cool for AW to have a voice here. Not that this run is for everybody, but there's plenty of class III in the gorge too.

Recreational releases...anybody? AW? Milo?? Henge???

Salida Ranger 420

·
Registered
80 Posts
Occasionally, the Bureau will inform the NWS river forecast center of their operation plan. When this happens, expeceted releases from crystal are put into the model and the gunnison tunnel flows are subtracted. You can view this forecasted hydrograph here:
http://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/river/station/flowplot/flowplot.cgi?GEPC2
or you can call a hydrologist at 801-524-5130 who might have a better idea. (some are more helpful than others.)

One can also call the BOR operations at (970) 248-0660 and inquire about expected releases from crystal (just keep in mind that the tunnel can pull a substantial amount of water before the canyon).

Western Power is operating the aspenall unit in close conjunction with the other reservoirs (specifically Flaming Gorge) to minimize the amount of power they need to purchase on the market. This further confuses the situation.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
are most the gnarly drops portageable? i know the 18 footer isnt but what about the rest of the huge boulder gardens in there?

·
no tengo
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so I started inquiring about the possibility of scheduled recreational releases and the bureau fell strangely silent.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I may get struck down hard for this, but I kind of like the atmosphere that the black canyon has now. When rivers start scheduling recreational releases, people tend to be drawn to them when they otherwise would have never noticed. It’s a unique feeling to be down in that deep crevice with just you and your partners and maybe a couple of climbers. It’s a feeling of solitude that is almost unmatched anywhere else with the busy world just 2000 feet above and yet so far away. I'm not saying I wouldn't appreciate regular flows, but I would hate to get to the putin and see a Red Bull balloon over the river. The Black Canyon if a very special place. Maybe if it is a regular 750 over a long period of time so people aren't concentrated all in one or two weekends.

·
Registered
76 Posts
come on are you kiddin, have you done that portage! I don't think the Black Canyon will ever be a highly run river even if there are scheduled releases.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I thought the park service wanted to try and restore flows to something resembling normal, ie higher flows in may/june.

·
Registered
168 Posts
About 12 times. The first time I did it the park service told us we were probably the only ones to do it that year. The last time I did it there were 3 other parties on the river the same day. It has some of the highest quality white water in the state, I wouldn't be surprised if it could became popular. The portage is a 45 min jont you girly man :wink: just messin

·
Registered
698 Posts
....18 footer is portagable on the river right...about 15 feet before the doomy river right side....a boat wide crack offers a way into the "jurassic park portage".....very strenuous and sketchy.....bouldering inside the cave-sieve system with a potential fall of about 15+ feet...and a bigger fall at the exit moves....you pop out right at the start of the regular river viewing section(portage)..... took me about an hour...at 440 cfs...6 mile hike to the put-in right now.....whose going in?...my shit is packed....
.......JUNIOR RANGER 420.....a popular run with overcrowding?......never bros......asking for rec flows?......why?....it is not a recreational run...unless you are multisporting.......then you get to do other stuff besides sketch-out.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts