1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
393 Posts
It is a really fun run worth doing if the flow comes up. Watch that gauge linked from the article. The run is OK at 500. Starts getting fun at about 700 and maybe worth a drive. Above 1000 the run is spectacular and definitely worth the drive. At most flows there is definitely one class V a lot of read and run IV and a nice clean 12 foot waterfall. Even though there is a bunch of industrial litter down there the canyon is generally very beautiful. If you don't boat it this week definitely make it out for the releases beginning in 08.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Damn, and I made plans to ski at Copper this weekend. I'll be there next weekend though.....

I think it is about an hour north of SLC. A river description is in the Idaho guide book. See ya'll there!

Doug

·
Registered
80 Posts
Some Black Canyon info.

The current flows for this weekend are a result of maintance work on the penstock (diversion tunnel to the power plant) that normally dewaters this section of river. After the repairs end on the 22nd of April, Pacific Corp probably won't be running enough water down the canyon for it to be boatable. Drop me a line if you plan to come out after this weekend and I'll see if I can find out whether there will be flows.

If not, 2008's gonna be one hell of a party.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Black Canyon of the Bear

When I first started kayaking in 1986, I used to live in Logan, Utah and this was my local run. The first time I ran it I paddled a Phoenix Spitfire. There are some great drops. At that time Grace Falls was certainly intimidating, and back then seemed gigantic. I remeber another rapid named "Bus Stop." It seems that at some point in the history of the town of Grace, the good people decided to use the canyon as a garbage dump. Somehow, a school bus was sent over the edge. Part of it sits in the river on the left bank. Talk about strainers--all those little windows. Anyway, if you get up there, have a great time and think of the good ol' days.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Flow currently at 350? Any one have specifics on put in and take out. Anyone hit it? Anyone interested tomorrow or saturday?

Ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts