Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the deal in the canyon right now? Is there still a lot of ice? 1500 is a pretty sweet flow.

·
Registered
396 Posts
based on visuals of the muffin's stretch of canyon, i am going to say no.

ill put an inner gorge vis on my to do list and get back with it tomorow night

·
Registered
396 Posts
no sign of ice in the canyon but..

I took a very meager glance from the park observation points, new gunnison and tomichi, there is very little river to see from there. All the other roads are closed, including east portal. There were 8 unplowed, crusty inches of snow on the rim and the bottom of the canyon was at least freshly coated. It would be hard to say if there is significant old snow on the portage so soon after today's weather.

My moneys on an extra special extended edition portage episode with special bonus features including icy footing and near freezing air temps.

·
Registered
698 Posts
m-box

.........rode chukar on a moto 2 days ago....free of water and mud!!!!!.....flows have gone from 300+ cfs to 2400cfs in the last month....i figure that has destroyed or melted any ice dam activity.....temps in the TROSE were high last week....t's and flipflops.....and cold assed PBR.....true, crystal road to the put-in is plowed but not open due to a particular slide path(snow, mud, rock etc)....one is allowed to walk or ride a bike down this road any time, boat in tow.....but it is about 6-7 miles.....another long portage!!!!!just what the black needs.....extra-cycle? anybody got two of 'em?.......snow in the canyon depths likely.....but not confirmed....will go check tommorrow from S. RIM...........PS....NICK, i no longer work with the monkeys at the academy....they were not serious enough.....sorry, your youth league sounds like a good thing....PSS...MR. GARY WORTHEDGE or whatever your silly name is...ever get a stubby?.....and sure i'll show you the way down the MONTROSE LOWERS.....BUT, i figured a MAN of your CALIBER(quite large i must say!) would just show up in a speedo, oakley blades, bandana and chuck taylors and what the hell ....a sleeveless-mesh half shirt! AND JUST FIRE UP THE LIVIN' SHIT OUT OF THE PLACE........if not, then i'll go first and you can just watch me hack my way down that canyon AGAIN......while i listen to your tuff assed rude fukin remarks...sounds fun huh....JUNIORMUTHAFUKINranger420CB

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damnit. why do they have to release such premium flows when we can't go in???? I would love to get in there over 2K. sounds sick.

·
Registered
698 Posts
myth busters

....as well nick....i am lookin' to do some myth bustin'.....all accounts say the M-BOX is unrunnable at 3,000cfs.....whose accounts?.....and when did they try it? any info?......myself and a montanna kid went in with 1340cfs, 3 years ago....delta was floodiing so the dam keeper sent "1000-1300cfs more" into the canyon........HE'D SHUT OFF THE GUNNISON TUNNEL, killing the m-wave.....but rocking our world....my boy went under rock and we lost some gear....had to hike out to seek help, food and shelter(late fall).....the canyon was runnable up thru the portage....we had our problem 2 paddle strokes into the "ACTION BELOW THE PORTAGE"....(SEE NEW TESTIMENT)...this drop was vicious and very big....but runnable....anyhow the next day the rangers drove us to the put-in so we could gather more gear to finish the run....(don't like half runs!!!!)that day the river had dropped out to 1000cfs....a holiday compared to the day before.....so, i don't know what happens below beach camp at HIGH water......even the sign at the put-in says in capital print.....3000+cfs.....severe hydro's...."DEATH IS LIKELY".......well then,.......the narrows could take more water and not present problems...maybe a bit tricky at the narrows pinch portage....searching for a new ferry at the 2nd ferry zone allows one to avoid the HAIRY FERRY altogether!!.....this area would have been problematic in the past.......we will see flows of 3000cfs or more i feel....it reached 2400cfs in the dead of winter...in anticipation of course of big run-off....but, we keep gettin' more snow.....as is the gunny gorge is good to go....throwdown sess......myth-busting this "3000cfs thing" seems like a good time....extra portages i'm sure.... i sure my boy BIG CHRIS LARSEN-IC will want to mythbust as well.......ta da juniorRANGER420cb

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3000 sounds good....well even better than good...sick. I don't believe for a second that it is "unrunnable" at that level. That's what happens when we leave the river descriptions up to Gordon Banks and his band of old school miscreants. Don't think I'll be running triple drop, but everything else would be unreal. if it reaches 3000 this year, I may have to drop everything and hop into the chunderposse's private jet(single engine cessna) and fly into M-town. I'm sure I could convince mister T.H. the high water king to re-route his plans to trounce this myth. Hopefully my partner in crime K.M. will be interested as well.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would guess the narrows pinch portage might be runnable with that much water. If the river right eddy disappeared, and it was not runnable you would just have to get creative on the left side.

Any chance you saw "good will huntings" green jefe in there? I got a feeling his boat is long gone.

·
Registered
396 Posts
ask the crew old brother Kern was going down there with all the time, some
of those guys were in there circa 3k according to local legend and thats where I am assuming the unrunnable designation is coming from

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good to go?

Rick Stock, Ben Stookesberry and Mike Camp went in there around 98 or 99 at around 2800 said that it was scarry but they made it through. 3G+ sounds like it could make things pretty exciting and keep you on your toes. I think that we will see Lotsawater, i mean a lot of water in there this summer should be good.

·
Registered
570 Posts
&d if you make it down to the black any time soon give me a call. I would love to take photos of any one running she shit down there at 3000cfs.

·
Registered
396 Posts
youll have better luck recruiting one of these other guys for a photo shoot at that level, not that a picture of me crying with a drypant leg full of urin wouldnt be priceless.. you couldnt pay me enough to get that picture of me ;)

·
Registered
746 Posts
"That's what happens when we leave the river descriptions up to Gordon Banks and his band of old school miscreants" Yeah right Nick, cause the fact Gordon has ran everything you like, twice as high as you've ever thought of putting on at. Settle down and go puke somewhere, you would never consider putting on the black at 3 g's.

As for the old man Milo, I thought you were dead? I would be honored to watch you fire the black and verbally insult your weak ass. Have you learned how to boat since Keggerman and Dastin scared you out of the water?

Larsen, what's up man. Been a long time, hope you're well

Gary

·
Registered
698 Posts
flows....

........oh yea.....KEGGERMAN.....LOON!.... but the guy showed me what was up in the early nineties.....as for DASTIN.....the guy is double-the-loon-factor......good guy to follow but, rapid beta is NOT his specialty...."run the rapid, and eddy out on the right....."....hey robby, i need more than that!! (lookin' over my shoulder at RIO PUESCO mayhem)....he says, with a serious look, "i guess i didn't explain myself......RUN the rapid and eddy out on the right"....followed up with a shit eatin' grin and....."watch yourself"......fukin' guy......nick, team W....from CARBONDALE....yes indeed....JULIO CAMBELLINI has expressed interest in a double run this season....X13kayaker, "good will hunting's" boat is most likely in the depths of the GREAT FALLS PORTAGE ZONE.... i will try to look into the canyon....A. for ice dams....... B. for for wills' green HEFE'.........gary w.....nice...look forward to it....don't get too tuff on me... i'll lead you into a bad-dead-end trail on the PORTAGE....leap on your dumbass with the FLYING-TIGER-ARMBAR -DEATH-TRIANGLE-HOLD.....WHAT WOULD YOU DO THEN?.... that's what i thought....1st you'd TAPOUT...then you'd say sorry and probably "tear up"(eye moisture)....i promise not to throw the "flying knee to the face".....i want to be able to hear you say NICE SHIT.....for the rest of the trip....don't worry i wont make you carry my boat....but i will carry yours...as most of the tuff guys crumble on the portage....i think i can help you become "NICE".....like everybody else..............&d, the kerns milked me for info 96-97....flows at the time were around 2800cfs...i told them to hold off till it got under 2k and to look at everything in the portage zone from above and below.....this crew makes a point to run commonly portaged rapids....KEGGERMAN had told me that it was not doable at 3k cfs....i passed that info on to jamie S. and the KERNS..... SO..........last season a posse of super-sickos went in for a tenth year anniversay....and a special project......NICK, KYLE...lets keep an eye on it.... i will contact my peeps in the know and see when the CRYSTAL road will open.....and when big flows might be likely......i'm sure i'll portage my fair share of drops but wanna see and hear the power....a purely exploration run.....at over 40 runs, this canyon still provides entertainment.....and a challenge.....we'll see.....(gary w. larsens # is 9705965781)........JUNIORRANGER420CB

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so Gary, are those actual flows, or with the old-school multiplier?

just so you know, you guys are my heroes. (you, gordo, and forrest) I have pictures of you up on my wall. I wanna be like you when I grow up. I don't think I'll pick up foos ball though.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Nick, you'll get old school multiplier numbers this year big guy. Be safe and bring a barf bag. It's gonna be swollen in CO this year. Hope the Family is doing well.

Calm down Milo, don't let 10 seconds of courage ruin your life.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm in I would love to break some myths.. Spent all of last July breaking myths in BC. This year is CO's turn. Run everything bigger then ever.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Holy shit, Keggerman, LOL! I have not heard that name in 16 years. He probably put my kayaking back by a couple of years by trying to teach me how to kayak by throwing me, the beginner, into upper run on the Tayler. Roll, what's a roll? Brace, what's a brace? Why are we being shot at by an old man?!

What ever happened to that crazy Keggerman?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts