Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and my buddy took my 18'er down the bitterroot north of Darby today, and I was making jokes about bitterroot falls. Then I hear a rumbling sound and the horizon line drops out. So I pull over to have a look. Well it turns out there's a somewhat nasty diversion damn thingy with a runnable line (metal was a questionable issue) through the middle. We rigged up our loose ends and ran it successfully but there was definitely a 8'-10' drop over 40-50' stretch. I talked to a few people about it and I guess its common practice to run it, but damn it was ugly. Can't imagine taking fishing clientele through that thing in a hard boat, or any boat with clueless passengers.

The whole point of the journey was to check it out for the wife and boys safety. I think I'll run a different stretch until we get more water.

On a side note the is a portage slide deal there but not for my big ass boat.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just thought I'd add a bit of info. There is a left sneak hidden in some trees above BF. A guide told me today he has run it as low as 500cfs. Most are running 13' boats of course.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The official name of this dam is "sleeping child" and is approximately 5-6 miles downstream of Wally Crawford put in. Did a bit more research and didn't find much out other than the name.

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,265 Posts
Damn
Looks like a bony ass banger.
That must be the sneak on the near side between the logs?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The spot I ran was just river left of the boulders. Right of where I am scouting in the picture.

The "sneak" is another channel upstream.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Bitterroot is one of the most dangerous class l rivers I've been down. Lots of wood/strainers, ever changing with low head dams placed every so often. An unsuspecting guy who buys a fishing pontoon at bob wards could have his day ruined very easily.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The Bitterroot can be a nasty piece of water. There's a low head diversion dam between Corvallis and Victor that likes to eat people. MFWP closed 5 miles of river last year because it's a mean bastard, and have approval to close that stretch again this year. Already had one fatality this spring, a driftboat hit a log and sent an older guy for a swim that ended up being his last. It's a beautiful float in most spots, but it moves a lot of wood and conditions change damn near daily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts