Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
The Big T is at 250 cfs today.
It will be at 225 cfs tomorrow. Probably too low for kayaking, but just in case...

Best,
Kara
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
950 Posts
Thanks Kara,

You should propose to whomever that you release every other day and double it to make up for a no release day :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all,
The cool weather has slowed the melting snow considerably and inflow to Lake Estes has dropped off. So, late tonight (Friday), we will curtail releases from Oly to the Big to 175 cfs. We will maintain that flow through the canyon for the weekend.

But, I'll keep you posted on any other changes that come up.

Best,
Kara
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
769 Posts
Is something strange going on with the gauge? Read 300+ cfs today and when I took a look at the riverbed, it didn't look like anything near that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
950 Posts
Yeh is it at 290 now? Thats what the flows say and if so I would be down to do lapd on the below the dam section tomorrow morning if its still up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeh is it at 290 now? Thats what the flows say and if so I would be down to do lapd on the below the dam section tomorrow morning if its still up.
Hey all,
Sorry for the confusion. We had a change in our operations over a federal holiday when I was not in the office. So, I'm behind a step. My apologies!

Late last night/early this morning (between midnight and 1 a.m.), we DID bump up releases from Olympus Dam on Lakes Estes to the Big Thompson River. We bumped up to 300 cfs. That has continued through today and will continue on until at least tonight.

Because the crystal ball for weather is still somewhat unclear (this rain is sort of goofy with the run-off primed and ready to come down), our hydrologists have not yet made a decision on whether or not to continue the 300 cfs through tonight and into tomorrow, or to scale back releases late tonight.

I will do my best to keep you posted in a timely manner on what does wind up happening. Sometimes, though, if decisions are made well after work hours, I wind up reporting after the fact the following morning.

So, keep an eye on the gage! And, as always, feel free to e-mail or call me if you have related questions.

Best,
Kara
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all,
Just sent this out to my e-mail list:


You probably noticed some fluctuations in the Big Thompson River downstream of Olympus Dam today.


It's true. Last night (Monday night) around 1 a.m., we bumped releases to the canyon up to 300 cfs. The 300 cfs ran all day today (Tuesday). Tonight between midnight and 1 a.m., we will scale releases back down to around 175 cfs.


The reason for the changes has to do with the fluctuating weather patterns and the resulting effect on snowmelt. Yesterday, the Big Thompson River had increased inflow coming into Lake Estes due to melting snow. So, last night, we were able to pass some of that water on down the canyon. Today, inflows were down again. Consequently, tonight, our adjustment will reduce releases.


We will maintain the 175 cfs at least through Wednesday. There might be another change Wednesday night. I will let you know.


Meanwhile, please let me know if you have related questions or concerns.

Best,
Kara
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top