Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My name is Bob, I joined this forum to give a little history of our fishing adventures together. I met Scott back in 1994 through a mutual friend. I told him that I was starting to Fly Fish and he suggested we go do some fishing together.
So in 1995 he told me that we should go to the Bighorn River in Montana and do some Fly Fishing and I said great, What that turned into was 26 years straight we have been fishing the Bighorn river together. We were there together in May of this year with Multiple other people that Scott through the years has introduced to the Bighorn. He taught me pretty much everything about Fly Fishing, Rowing a boat, having a good time and drinking his favorite Beverage. The last few years he has gotten his other nephews, Rick and Randy also involved and I have developed a great friendship with them. We had planned on going up to the Bighorn in Sept and now it will be the first time in 26 years I am going there without my fishing buddy, And it breaks my heart. The picture in Scott's Avatar was taken by me in Sept 2015 when we did our second Alaskan adventure to Lake Iliamna. It is the same group that now goes to the Bighorn every year. He has for years told me about the great people he has meet and rafted with on this forum. I just wanted to share a little of Scott's other passion of Fly Fishing.

To Mark, My condolence to you and your family on the the loss of your Uncle, Rafting buddy.

To Scott, Rest in Peace Buddy and Bom Bom Boulah.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
Mcbauer,
From the bottom of my heart thank you for posting this. I did not know Scott but for his posts on this forum, always well reasoned well thought out and damn good advice. I learned a lot from him, I wish I could have had the opportunity to boat with him. Everyone's estimation to his character both previous to his death and after his death are spot on. From what I can comment on, he was a good man. May he rest in peace. Again thanks for doing this, it means a lot to me. As I age I lose more and more of my friends as the days go by

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Saw the link and was afraid to click it.

Mark, Bob, and Nate, my deepest condolences. Please let his family and friends know that his e-friends share in some measure of your grief and also mourn his passing.
I'd traded PM's with Scott a few times and we'd talked of hitting a SW Montana river eventually. Sadly that won't happen. I also have to echo what others have said about his history of positive and thoughtful posts here.

While it must have been a difficult time for those of you on the MF trip with him--and his family getting the news at home--I think it's beautiful that his final moments were on such a gorgeous river. May we all meet our end in the presence of natural beauty and surrounded by friends.

Float on, Scott.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,552 Posts
Some need to do a memorial float in his honor.
Great idea. Lets get it done this weekend. For the CO folks (or anyone that wants to come in) lets hit the Ark. Lots of good fishing water down here and still some water left. We can rally at my place or if someone has a better idea let me know.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Life is short my friends. Live it to the fullest. As I age I am starting to realize just how few years I have left. Family and friends are everything that’s important. Try to live like you are dying and cherish every moment.
Oh man...not only how few years I have left, but how few years I have left and will also have the agility and energy to take on river trips with family and friends and do the things that make my soul sing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Condolences to the family. His name, avatar and mostly his posts of wisdom are a staple to this board. He will be missed by many. He has the only ladder to have been sent out with logos on both sides, and he helped me decide on color. He requested a red ladder when they weren't available and he got the first one. Said he had to have it in red because the rest of the boat matched. Next fish I catch is for him, hoping its a nice rainbow with even half the color of the one in his avatar. RIP sir.
Zach, thank you so much for making the red ladder. Scott was so happy with it, and so proud to have the first one of its kind made.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,552 Posts
Awesome. You know what's crazy. Fished a short section yesterday. Caught a 19" rainbow, which for the Ark is a pretty damn nice fish. It wasn't the first fish of the day but it is pretty rare to catch fish over 18 on the ark. Whether or not Scott had a hand in it, that fish is for him. Now if I could figure out how to not always have a crooked hat and dumb look on my face in every fish pic; could just be that's my face.🤷‍♂️ IMG_3492.PNG
IMG_3492.PNG

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mountain Buzz knew this man as Bighorn, I knew him as one of my closest friends, Scott.

I do not have all the facts at this time and thought long and hard about posting this.

It is reported that last week, Scott suffered a heart attack on the Middle Fork Salmon River. Was air evacuated out and passed at the hospital.

Scott, like me, retired some years back and spent more time on rivers than most any one I know. Over a lot of years now, I got to spend quality time with him. Scott was a top notch boater and just as good at trout fishing. Hence the name Bighorn. Since he spent time on that river each year in his drift boat. Scott was just awesome at inviting new people to our sport. Then he taught all of us new rafting tricks to improve our boating experience.

Scott's number one raft was a SOTAR 16 Cat. Outfitted like the dream boat it was. All the frame and gear was dialed in. Scott engineered the most comfortable seat in the bow I have ever seen. My fondest memories are seeing Scott rowing the cat down the Smith River with his daughter Brandee fly casting from that seat. On the other hand, if you rode in that seat on rivers like the Main Salmon you were assured of getting wet which made Scott grin big time. Scott was accompanied on this MFS float with his daughter Brandee and nephew Mark. Mark was Scott's closest boating buddy.

I have been blessed to run many rivers with so many just awesome people. Not having Scott along to act as trip leader, master campfire story teller and all around good man is going to leave a massive hole in my and other folks who knew and loved Scott.

Please join me is a moment of silence or prayer for Scott's memory as you read posts here on Mountain Buzz and for sure if you are blessed to float either the Bighorn or Smith rivers.

With great sadness, Dave.
I’ll pour one on the Salmon next week for Bighorn. Respect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mountain Buzz knew this man as Bighorn, I knew him as one of my closest friends, Scott.

I do not have all the facts at this time and thought long and hard about posting this.

It is reported that last week, Scott suffered a heart attack on the Middle Fork Salmon River. Was air evacuated out and passed at the hospital.

Scott, like me, retired some years back and spent more time on rivers than most any one I know. Over a lot of years now, I got to spend quality time with him. Scott was a top notch boater and just as good at trout fishing. Hence the name Bighorn. Since he spent time on that river each year in his drift boat. Scott was just awesome at inviting new people to our sport. Then he taught all of us new rafting tricks to improve our boating experience.

Scott's number one raft was a SOTAR 16 Cat. Outfitted like the dream boat it was. All the frame and gear was dialed in. Scott engineered the most comfortable seat in the bow I have ever seen. My fondest memories are seeing Scott rowing the cat down the Smith River with his daughter Brandee fly casting from that seat. On the other hand, if you rode in that seat on rivers like the Main Salmon you were assured of getting wet which made Scott grin big time. Scott was accompanied on this MFS float with his daughter Brandee and nephew Mark. Mark was Scott's closest boating buddy.

I have been blessed to run many rivers with so many just awesome people. Not having Scott along to act as trip leader, master campfire story teller and all around good man is going to leave a massive hole in my and other folks who knew and loved Scott.

Please join me is a moment of silence or prayer for Scott's memory as you read posts here on Mountain Buzz and for sure if you are blessed to float either the Bighorn or Smith rivers.

With great sadness, Dave.
What a wonderful remembrance. Although I did not know the man your words made me wish I had met him. May we all inspire such kind and happy memories. God Bess.
TP

·
Registered
4 Posts
I rarely check this forum and posted just the one time. 2 years ago though, we were fortunate to pull a MFS permit and I posted here if anyone would like to join us as none of us had done it before and our group was small with room for more. Scott hadn't been down it either, but he PM'd me right back with probably the best response I've ever read in my life.

"We will not get drunk, run through the camp naked or talk politics. We will participate in conversations and do our fair share of camp chores. We will do our best to make sure you are glad you invited us and will return the favor in the future."

And so the lot of us, who have never done a MFS trip before, went down and had a splendid time, with Scott running point most of it. I'm am so glad to have shared the invite with Scott and Mark and none us who spent 7 days doing so would disagree. We never know when our time is up and I'm happy that so many here got to enjoy his company and that Scott got to enjoy so many rivers.

The Caldwell's wish to share our condolences with Mark and the rest of Scott's family. RIP

21 - 38 of 38 Posts