Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mountain Buzz knew this man as Bighorn, I knew him as one of my closest friends, Scott.

I do not have all the facts at this time and thought long and hard about posting this.

It is reported that last week, Scott suffered a heart attack on the Middle Fork Salmon River. Was air evacuated out and passed at the hospital.

Scott, like me, retired some years back and spent more time on rivers than most any one I know. Over a lot of years now, I got to spend quality time with him. Scott was a top notch boater and just as good at trout fishing. Hence the name Bighorn. Since he spent time on that river each year in his drift boat. Scott was just awesome at inviting new people to our sport. Then he taught all of us new rafting tricks to improve our boating experience.

Scott's number one raft was a SOTAR 16 Cat. Outfitted like the dream boat it was. All the frame and gear was dialed in. Scott engineered the most comfortable seat in the bow I have ever seen. My fondest memories are seeing Scott rowing the cat down the Smith River with his daughter Brandee fly casting from that seat. On the other hand, if you rode in that seat on rivers like the Main Salmon you were assured of getting wet which made Scott grin big time. Scott was accompanied on this MFS float with his daughter Brandee and nephew Mark. Mark was Scott's closest boating buddy.

I have been blessed to run many rivers with so many just awesome people. Not having Scott along to act as trip leader, master campfire story teller and all around good man is going to leave a massive hole in my and other folks who knew and loved Scott.

Please join me is a moment of silence or prayer for Scott's memory as you read posts here on Mountain Buzz and for sure if you are blessed to float either the Bighorn or Smith rivers.

With great sadness, Dave.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I didn't know him, but I always enjoyed reading his posts and respected his opinion. He'll be missed on these boards, and I don't doubt even more so in person. RIP.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had the good fortune to take one of my first rafting trips with Scott (Mark, Dave, Brandee and others). Together, we floated down the Smith River. My kids fell in love with rafting on that trip and I learned enough to keep them safe. Years have passed. Now I raft and write about rafting thanks to good mentors like Scott. I still use a number of his "stupid guide tricks," including the one where I put a little something, something in my tumbler during cocktail hour.

I have a Main Salmon trip that launches in two days with some "new" boaters. I know Scott will live on through the lives he touched and the rivers he loved. I'll raise a glass at every camp.

Thanks for posting Dave and condolences to Mark, Brandee and grandkids.

Kind Regards,
Eric, Beth, Carlie, Abby, Ian

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
I am heartbroken
Never met Scott, but exchanged recipes and he always gave great advice boating and otherwise
When I was a newbie to this community, it was his posts and calm tone that gave me the courage to do my first post
When trolling and inappropriate comments were made, Scott defended me
He will be missed terribly
Peace be to all

·
Registered
396 Posts
My condolences to those that knew him and to his family. I never met him, but he was a wealth of information and very kind on this forum. I will miss seeing his input and advice that he so freely gave to readers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I’m shocked. RIP Bighorn. I never met him in person, however as others have stated, I always enjoyed his thoughtful posts and ideas. I know he will be missed by many.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
RIP Bighorn. Definitely a moment of silence.. Godspeed..

·
Registered
112 Posts
I did not know the gentleman however I will miss his posts and especially his photo avitar proudly displaying the fish in full spawning colors. Thank you Scott and I thank those that those I am sure tried keep him floating/rowing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This is Scott's nephew Mark. Scott got me into this sport 20+ years ago, and changed my life. He was one of the most incredible and special human beings I've ever known, and I will miss him terribly. I'll probably have more to post in the coming days as the grief diminishes, with some details that maybe we can all learn from, but for now, please know this about Scott: He lived life and loved his family more fiercely than anyone I have ever known. Which is the way that I try to live my life.

Mark

·
My name isn't Will
321 Posts
Oh wow.

I'm still pretty new here, but always enjoyed reading what he wrote. I will be among many many people who miss him, and among many people who keep him in their memory, like others we have lost, when out on rivers.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,552 Posts
Condolences to the family. His name, avatar and mostly his posts of wisdom are a staple to this board. He will be missed by many. He has the only ladder to have been sent out with logos on both sides, and he helped me decide on color. He requested a red ladder when they weren't available and he got the first one. Said he had to have it in red because the rest of the boat matched. Next fish I catch is for him, hoping its a nice rainbow with even half the color of the one in his avatar. RIP sir.

·
Registered
656 Posts
RIP and condolences to family and friends. He was always a wealth of knowledge and happy to help. At least he went in a great place doing what he loved! SYOTR in the sky sir...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts