Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am thinking of taking the family up to Bighorn Sheep Canyon on the Ark this weekend but have never been. What is it like right now and is it an appropriate float for little kids? What about camping at Vallie Bridge? All info and opinions would be welcome. I am not a guide, just a private rafter with a little experience here and there up to class III.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just did the Salida East to Rincon stretch a few days ago. We did it with three adults and a 7 year old. Perfect float for that group. A couple places where the 7 year old had to have an adult paddle the duckie, but mostly perfect. Great swim/jump rock just before Point Bar in the red rocks. about 8 miles, which was 4 hours for us taking our time. Highway shuttle of the same mileage. You can hitch hike faily easily I have heard.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Very appropriate for kids right now. The only rapids between Salida and Cotopaxi that are really note worthy are Tincup and Cottonwood, and you may want to consider scouting both. Other than that there are a lot of fun class II rapids to give the kids a splash. Fishing should be excellent right now too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts