·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kara Lamb we need your help! Thank you.

·
doesn't need a fake name
481 Posts
Is it going to stay at these levels? Do I need to cancel obligations later in the week or will it hold until the weekend?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Up to 204! Karaaaaaaa! Where are yoouuuuuuu......

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Kara is on Facebook as "Kara At Work" yesterday she posted this on her FB page:

We are meeting demands on the Big Thompson River by Loveland via releases from Olympus Dam on Lake Estes. We are currently releasing about 170 cfs from Lake Estes to the Big T on down through the canyon. Around midnight tonight (9/10), we'll bump releases to the canyon up to about 205 cfs.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I spoke with Kara yesterday. She said they were moving some water, but she didn't think it was going to get much higher and that it would only last for a couple of days.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Spencer...

Hey Spencer Lenny here. What section did you run?

Looking at doing from below the gnar to Idlewhile Dam, whats the lowest cfs that you'd say for this section?

How about the lowest cfs for Idlewhile Dam to the Mouth of the Canyon?

Thanks Spencer, Lenny.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hey Spencer Lenny here. What section did you run?

Looking at doing from below the gnar to Idlewhile Dam, whats the lowest cfs that you'd say for this section?

How about the lowest cfs for Idlewhile Dam to the Mouth of the Canyon?

Thanks Spencer, Lenny.
We did the Gnar section. I'm not sure what the minimum for The Main section is. I imagine you are going to want more than 210 though, but if you don't mind boat abuse and you're itching it's definitely doable. I can't tell you about the run to the mouth of the canyon, never done it.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
yo lenny. the main section below the gnar goes at 200. it is not even that bad of boat abuse if you paddle to stay off the rocks. I would take out at idlewild dam though or even upstream of that at drake just after the bridge. about 3-4miles

there is 1 4+ in the middle of the main section run. prob a 4 at 200cfs but worth a scout. big dirt pull out

you can go from the dam to the cherry store too, but it seems more abusive than the main section.

I would gladly paddle any sections you have time for after work on weekdays or weekends.

we are 10' apart at the end of every day and we never seem to boat. also i know all the sections well now so i could show you all the stuff on the way up. the main section to the cherry store is about 6 miles and fun.

get it soon boys, it might not hold till saturday!!

ALSO we have 2 going up for the gnar section on weds at 12pm afternoon. Anybody else looking to get out? we have all day and have run it a few times at 200 and below. I think jeff is going to fire up big daddy no. 2 so it would be great to have a 3rd or 4th.

anybody for weds. at noon ot later? we'll be there all day

·
Registered
143 Posts
My take would be it's not worth running below the gnar to the mouth at 200. I think the lowest I've done below the Gnar to near VSmith is ~250 which ended up with a cracked boat above the dam. It was fun, but definitely boat abuse. Granted the air temp was near freezing and the ice added to the entertainment factor. 300 and up is nicer as you hit fewer rocks. 400 is even better.

VS to the narrows I really don't like below ~400ish. The Narrows the lowest I've done was at ~200ish, but that was a guess at the time. Boatable, but not that great. Got some dirty looks from fishermen as we came around one corner.

I'd guess 200 would be on part with the first trip down the Little South Lenny.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts