Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,
I've got an update on the Big Thompson River for you all. I do not know how significant this news is, though, because I don't remember what good kayaking flows are for the Big T.

Because the recent heat has kicked off our runoff season, we will be bumping up releases from Olympus Dam to the Big T to about 250 cfs. This bump up in cfs will occur late tonight, around midnight. All recreators below the dam and around the river should be aware the flow levels will change and be up come the morning of May 24.

So: 250 cfs in the Big T at midnight May 23.

Give me a holler (970/962-4326), or a message, if you have any questions, etc.

Happy spring (and stay safe out there!),
Kara

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BIg T to go to 300

Howdy again,
Just got some new info: make that 300 cfs.

We'll be bumping flows to the Big T up to 300 cfs tonight at midnight. Don't know how long they'll stay that way.

It's runoff. Things are getting crazy!

--Kara

·
Registered
465 Posts
Kara,

Thank you for the update. For kayajers this bump in flows translates to high flow on the steep section, and the beginning of runnable flows for the lower runs. I'm assuming Olympus Dam controls outflow from Lake Estes...? meaning ~420cfs above Drake, and ~500cfs for the lower section?

Thanks again, and keep the updates coming!

Thanks,
frenchy

·
suigeneris
337 Posts
many thanks Kara

Thanks again as this is invaluable info for us boaters in Loveland. We know to well these releases are very limited.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts