Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the lack of snow pack and all the fires causing most boaters to fall into a state of shock, I thought I’d invite anyone and everyone who may be interested in a good time to come on up to Estes Park to run the Big Thompson! …
“The Big Thompson??!!! What? There’s a river in Estes Park?”
… Yes, It’s boney, in fact, I consider this to be a hybrid sort of combat boating, fish hooks, tree limbs, and agro elk, and it’s probably best to bring a full face helmet, elbow guards, and your old boat! It’s running around 120 cfs, and from what I can tell, no one boats this stretch of river unless they are demented, which must include me, because I’ve run in several times a week since the summer began. And even though you will probably feel as if you hit every rock in the river, there are good times to be had for sure. Threeish miles, from up by the YMCA and down thru town taking out somewhere down river after stopping for a beer or two along the way (the rock or eds typically). I’ve taken several friends down this stretch of river, most have had mucho problemas due to all the rocks, and though I’m not a real experienced boater, I’ve had a genuinely fun time doing this run again and again. When the water was up this year I was even able to hike up into the NP to run glacier creek to the big T, supper craggy but technically fun.
My schedule is flexible so call if you’re interested. Nine seven O, four 4 three, 0704.
No haters or bitching.
We made several runs on the blue yesterday, it’s running 500+ beneath the reservoir.
PS: a free beer for whoever can survive the Big Thompson Beat Down.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The lack of carnage in this post is disappointing.
No doubt. I was all excited burn at least a few minutes reading a carnage tale. Boo.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Guess he/she hasn't heard of me! :)

Paul and I ran the main section and the Big Dam at 150 cfs and I have run everything at 90. Not saying that's my minimum! :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
many apolgies i have no carnage stories for you all, to be honest, i really haven't had any problems with the rocks, i was nearly fish hooked last week, and i paddled thru a wedding too, but as I said, i think the big thompson from the Y thru town has been really enjoyable. i may have padded the cfs a bit, perhaps you'll agree. i've run downstream and upstream, both are equally messy and equally fun.

down from the lake is exiciting too, casual, but exciting.

perhaps a few of the new estes boaters will chime in with their carnage stories???

·
Super Moderator
2,890 Posts
many apolgies i have no carnage stories for you all, to be honest,......

perhaps a few of the new estes boaters will chime in with their carnage stories???
Beat down in thread title....such a tease. Now get your go pro on, go get your ass whipped and post up. All will be forgiven.

I once did the Murtaugh of the Snake at 80cfs, you got nothing on me. Caustic cow crap water, got an ear infection, fell during one of the portages (there were many rapids where the water disappeared completely) and got a nasty infection that took almost two months to heal. Swam badly in one of the early broach opportunities ( Normally known as rapids) and got beat up on the sharp lava rocks.

Pffftt.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts