Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been proved wrong again. We are going up a little for the Big T this weekend, but I'm not sure it's enough for kayaking. But, just in case:

All,
Turns out my forecast for yesterday for our releases from Olympus Dam to the Big Thompson River have been revised. As part of our response to continuing water user demands downstream on the Big T, we will be increasing our releases from Olympus Dam tonight at midnight. We will increase the release by 60 cfs to about 195 cfs. The 195 cfs should last at least through the weekend--pending further notice, of course.

Other notes of interest: I received an e-mail from a group of folks who live along the river asking why in the fall our releases can drop as low as 40 or 30 cfs. The answer to that question is that the 30 and 40 cfs release rates correspond with both our seasonal operations and the established instream flow below Olympus Dam (instream flows are held by the Colorado Water Conservation Board).

In other news: Visitors to Estes Park next week might notice some work going on atop the dam. We are placing a trash rake on top of the dam, over the gates that release the water. The trash rake is aptly named. It is used to remove debris that collects on the gates.

I will let you know if there are any other changes. Meanwhile, feel free to contact me with any related questions or concerns.I am available via cell phone on Monday at (970) 215-9545. I will be back in the office on Tuesday.

Best,
Kara

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
195 is enough to do the upper stretch for sure, I don't think I'd run disposal that low though, it'd be pretty manky. That's probably a good level for getting into the nasty stuff for the first time.
The lower stretch was fun at 240, so I would guess it'd still be good down at 195.

·
Registered
950 Posts
""Anyone know if 195 is enough water? I remember going around 275cfs and still having a good time from below the gnar to V.S. Park...[/QUOTE]""

Ok, I'll admit...that was Cindy and me running it today at 129! :eek:

Yep we had a few scrapes but was fun considering nothing other than the narrows is on. Speaking of the narrows...Cindy and I will be on it Monday or Tuesday...I ran it yesterday at 92! :eek: and it was a minimal consequences for those who have always wanted to try it kind of level.

So anybody down for a sunday morning Big T run?

·
Registered
364 Posts
"Upper Section"

195 is enough to do the upper stretch for sure, I don't think I'd run disposal that low though, it'd be pretty manky. That's probably a good level for getting into the nasty stuff for the first time.
The lower stretch was fun at 240, so I would guess it'd still be good down at 195.

What part on Eddyflower is considered the "upper section" of the Big T?? I was interested, but not sure if I can make it up there on Sunday. So I was just checkin out the run descriptions on EF since I've never been on any sections of the Big T. Thanks!

Cheers!

-Nick

·
Registered
950 Posts
Depends on who your talking to...and EF lists the same run twice. So starting at the base of the canyon.

On the right you see a lowhead dam and after a coupleof turns you see a 15ft dam on the left...this is the Res to canyon mouth section...rarely any water.

Between the 15fter and the large dam on the left...probably 5-6 miles up is the below dam section. This is often broken into 2 runs as a park on the right lays 1/2 way in between...The 1st 1/2 goes at a lower flow than the second 1/2.

Then the below drake section starts at the pulloff across from the post office on the west side of drake and goes until the big dam/res.

The main section starts 2.5miles above drake at the large pullout on the left hand side and goes until the PO in drake.

Immediately above the main section for 3/4 mile is the Gnarr section.

So the upper section/s are above the Gnarr...but I've heard the section below drake called the upper section since the run below the big dam is sometimes called the lower section? The main section and Gnarr are always called that. Can't wait for tomorrow...:grin:

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
While i may be done running rapids like garbage disposal, I can attest o that whole gnar section being quite runnable as low as 136cfs, ten years ago. STill a good boof at the disposal, but pretty scrapey runout.

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
What part on Eddyflower is considered the "upper section" of the Big T?? I was interested, but not sure if I can make it up there on Sunday. So I was just checkin out the run descriptions on EF since I've never been on any sections of the Big T. Thanks!

Cheers!

-Nick
By upper I meant the gnarr section as called on EF.
Not sure if I'm game for that type of stuff anymore, it's a heavy run. (maybe not as heavy at 195 as it was at 400 something the last time I ran it, but it's no joke)

·
Registered
950 Posts
COME ON its at 216!!! I'll be in a tan blazer somewhere on the Main section through the 2nd dam up!

Cell 573-528-6813

Gannon & Cindy

·
Registered
145 Posts
How's the run below the gnar at around 200 cfs? I've only run it as low as about 350, maybe 325 and found it to be getting pretty boney at that level. It seems like 200 would be more of a slide down wet rocks than actually floating...

·
Registered
950 Posts
Ummm, wow :D We sure have some stingy boaters on here :eek:. I think I've only seen the river over 300 once. And bony at 300? If your used to just floating any line and not having to ever paddle around a rock maybe its a little bony at 300. The main rock slide is not in at 200...or it looks real nasty at least but the rest will go...just takes a little manuvering.
I kind of define bony as bottom scraping because there is no line with no scraping. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
774 Posts
I did it last year at 200 this time of year and for the time of year it was ok. I wouldn't recommend going past Drake. I think 300 is a good minimum for the lower stuff to be fun otherwise there is a lot of scraping.

·
Registered
145 Posts
So it seems we have two kinds of boaters: stingy ones who expect to be able to float the rapids without paddling, and desperate boaters who may be contemplating building amphibious kayaks with wheels.

Gannon, I see you're in the latter camp...how would you consider the section below Drake? I usually run from about a mile above Drake to the second dam below it. Will I have to paddle more than 10 times? :)

By the way, the Big T was over 300 for quite a while last year and the year before.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Think about the unpopular boy (with the ladies) in junior high...take what you can get and don't complain :grin:. Thats my take on end.out of season boating and living here in greeley...:(...and not having a close run without a decent drive I feel unpopular! She may be bony but I'll take her! ;) Cindy and I run the I-dam (assuming thats the name of the big one) to the park regularly and its good to go at 200 with minimal scraping but decent rock dodging. The section below drake we did last week at 210. I think the 1st rapid is behind the indian store? Well the beginning is flat and wide (but if you gotta take her?) so I noticied a bridge that would be nice to put in to avoid the scraping.

What do you mean it was over 300...I only saw it once when Kara anounced it...Of course now that I think about it, last year/s I rarely checked on its flow.

If anybody wants some saturday morning I'm down.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
How's the run below the gnar at around 200 cfs? I've only run it as low as about 350, maybe 325 and found it to be getting pretty boney at that level. It seems like 200 would be more of a slide down wet rocks than actually floating...
I agree - that section of the Big T seems sensitive to small changes in flow as well. I've done it as low as 300 cfs and that feels like a good minimum. 300 feels a lot lower than 350. But if you have a boat you don't mind breaking and feel a need to get on some water, I've certainly been convinced to do worse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is the flow going to hold out for another day? If it's above 200 tomorrow morning, Gannon and I will be heading up, probably around 10:30. Anyone else down?

970-356-4890 or 573-528-6813 (cell)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts