Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
It will. But when? I would guess around June 1, but who knows?

This is no special info but just a gut feeling. Take it for what you will.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Alright, I'm just taking a guess here, but it looks like we're in the realm of about 1000 cfs increase per day at Cameo:

If my rudimentary math is correct, then it'll be ON come next Sunday. At least it'll be Memorial Day, so probably not that crowded. :roll:

I'm bringing my surfboard.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I personally don't think it will run for real. I seem to remember back a few years that people said Big Sur runs at 40,000 cfs. These days it seems like people say it runs lower, prob. because of our drought years.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
I seem to remember back a few years that people said Big Sur runs at 40,000 cfs.
Nah, Cameo hasn't seen 40K since probably '83... if ever. You might be thinking of flow levels at Westwater or below the Dolores & Gunny confluences. I've hit Big Sur a couple of times since '95; and if the Cameo gauge hits 20K, it pretty much runs. [/quote]

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
It runs as soon as the cameo dam gates open, regardless of the level. It could be 5,000 and it would run if they opened the gates.

They usually open the gates at 18k.

It isn't worth the drive until it hits 24k.

I doubt it will run this year...at least not at 24k.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have been paddling here since 1988. iT IS GREEN and ok at 18k. At 20ish a pile is formed, at 24ish a big pile is there and multiple boats can play, switch spots, pass beers, etc.....These are definite #s. We have some great old school videos from early 90s if anybody is interested.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a question on Big Sur. Every year, people wonder if this thing will come in but has anybody actually surfed Big Sur in a new school playboat? It looks kind of flat in old vids and photos. You might not even be able to do anything unless you're in a Frankenstein?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I have been paddling here since 1988. iT IS GREEN and ok at 18k. At 20ish a pile is formed, at 24ish a big pile
Shack and SC, my point exactly. I grew up in Junction, and have been paddling since 93ish. Surfed Big Sur every year from 94-96 (could be off, but three years straight).

If it is under 24k, then I think it will be nearly impossible to surf in anything modern. It was hard to surf in Kintecs and Super Sports. Above that, and I think the newer boats are going to kill it. I remember my first air while surfing was here, because on surfers left you can carve out of the pile and down the face where boils roll over the front lip. With enough speed you could bounce a super sport a few inches in the air. At the right level and with a flat bottom boat I think you can go huge. At 18k, bring the frankenstien.

Thus, I wouldn't bother showing up until 24k, unless you want to bring the long boat... its all you. My take, 1/2 hour front surfs became boring after the first time I did a cartwheel.

The glory of some of the old playspots is dissapearing with the advent of short boats. Westwater is a prime example, where a 7'5 and up boat was great, and now the newer freestyle designs just can't catch the same waves. But, we can play more features now and do much cooler shit in the short boats.

·
Registered
85 Posts
"Bummer. This is the peak, and it's a ways from 24K"

Um, looks like that prediction is not official as it is already over the forcasted link on that page. 24K looks like a reach, but who knows.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I heard something about the two dams coordinating a release sometime within the next week. I dont know if this is fact or fiction, but I know reudi reservoir is a part of a sort of coalition of reservoirs that coordinate releases to help simulate flood conditions in order to help rehabilitate some endangered fish species, meaning the fryingpan is going to run for the first time in years and that Big Sur might go. Anybody hear this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep the pan is supposed to go to 800 tomorrow. Lots of dead trees in the creek the last time I was up there though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The last time I was at Big Sur - the top wave had a nice pile on it and folks were throwing down - it was the year of the Kenetic and Godzilla.
I say dust off the long board and get ready to ride!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts