Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
It appears that this will be a great boating season in...

colorado and that means Big Sur will go.
Modern short boats will have a harder time getting out to it and will need to surf further river right, but up against the wall the wave radiates from is where the fun is.

I'd be more jealous if I didn't have the excuse to be playing the great at any level Ottawa, and creekin' Quebec this season.

Enjoy

John mason

·
Registered
9 Posts
As I remember 20,000 cfs is the threshold for Big Sur...

but don;t know which guage that is.
Brook you're makin' it tough, but i will be concentrating on Canadian distributorship this season along with my regular duties at Mountain Surf. come and surf some BIG waves on the Ottawa. Come see me in May for Big Bus and high water Coliseum. Afraid to say that it would be like skiing Colorado and then skiing WV though. You're always welcome at the new Casa Mason as soon as I get it set up in the Ottawa Valley. Another house hunting trip on tuesday. It's been way :D too long!

John Mason

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I've heard it comes out over 20,000 on the MB gauge.

COUNT

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
The gauge you look at is Colorado at Cameo. It may poke its head up around 20K, but you reeally need a bit more.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, it starts coming up at about 20ish but needs a little more to be good and retentive. It came up last year for ONE AFTERNOON ONLY, so I doubt it'll come up this year at all. Our snowpack is < it was last year. (that's "less than" for all you non math people) :(

·
Registered
846 Posts
Western Slope WaterMan said:
so I doubt it'll come up this year at all. Our snowpack is < it was last year. (that's "less than" for all you non math people) :(
Not sure where that is coming from? It looks like there is far more snow water equivalent in the colorado drainage now than there was last year, or in recent years for that matter. The snotel data says we have exceeded the average peak in the colorado drainage already this year. Check: ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Snow/snow/watershed/daily/basinplotco06.gif

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
214 Posts
ACC- I don't think you're missing anything. There is for sure more snow pack this year in the Colorado Basin than last year. Also, the reservoir levels are higer this year than last.

ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Snow/resv/watershed/monthly/resmap.pdf

I don't know if this has much of an effect, but since the S. Platte Basin is looking good too, there won't be as much water diverted early season from the Colorado Basin as usual, so I would assume that would mean the rivers in the Colorado Basin would run higher. But I'm not sure.

One thing is for sure...there is a lot more water in the Northern half of Colroado than there was last year!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, as I am writing this it is snowing, but usually there needs to be a goodly amount of lower elevation and higher elevtaion snowcover. When it gets warm suddenly and it all runs off at once, Big Sur rocks. But, if it warms up gradually, the lower elevation stuff runs off earlier than the upper elevation stuff, and it's iffy if Big Sur will run then. Seems to me! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
As I recall - Big Sure is dependent on open gates at the dam down stream to create the gradiant needed for great waves. It's a multi-condition phenomenon.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Steamer,
You are replying to a 2+ year old post. It was in last night though, good stuff.
-d

1 - 13 of 13 Posts