Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Travis Winn told me about a wave that forms in the spill of the Big sur Dam at super low water when only the gate opposite the highway is open. Does anyone know whether that gate is open? It was last week but the ice was a little thick to be out that day. Kyle if you are out there can you give the low down.

Peter

·
Registered
9 Posts
peter this is shane from glenwood, i know the wave, but it only runs a few times during the year, mostly in spring when they are clearing it out.not sure if its goin right now. i think people try to keep this one on the down low, whatever though

·
Registered
1 Posts
Uh, no

It is a gem, and it is rare. You need 18,000 cfs for Big Sur to rise up to its name. Looks like 1,000 cfs right now.

I thought this thread might be about the dredging that is happening on the upstream side of the dam. The pool behind the dam was silted in with a channel on river right. This dredging might change the dynamics.

You guys need to wait for June and pray for plenty of snow.

sarah :roll:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I crazy but not nuts

Why would time of day matter? Phlows seem pretty constant. Are you dodging john law? Or are just trying to get me to freeze my ass off even more hobie.

Peter

·
Registered
9 Posts
lucky 7

We surfed earlier today and it rocked. We talked to the construction people today and they said the gates should stay this way until mid March. Still have yet to see anyone other than Mesa kids surfing it. Hope you all will brave the cold.

·
Registered
703 Posts
lucky 7 / little sur

little sur has a 6inch wave thats good for learning to surf and spin. Lucky 7 is kicking with a 3 foot wave thats keeping a little but exellant for everything else, dont be afraid to go out because of the temp. we're out there with splash jackets, kitchen gloves, and duct tape. SO go and have fun this winter.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Seems like everyone already has their questions answered but some more FYI. The wave is called Lucky 7, because it is kind of hard to find, harder to find running, and is the seventh gate over from I-70. When the gates are open at lower flows it is a 3 foot high wave hole awesome for ends, blunts, loops, and whatever else. Sticky in the middle and easy to flush on the sides. A little shallow so bring your spud boat and paddle like hell to get on to the wave. At higher low flows it turns into a big wave, wide enough for two boaters to be doing blunts, spins, and other wave moves, but mush harder to get on so bring a faster boat, like an Id.

The wave is about half a mile below Big Sur. Pull over in a dirt turnout on I-70 west directly next to the dam. Then hike down below the dam and paddle to the other side of the river. DO NOT get out on the opposite side of the river on the dam structure. The construction workers are cool with it, but the dam employees and canal guys are not.

It's a little bit of a drive for just Lucky 7, but is great to combine with a one day Westwater trip for a freestyle weekend. If the snow starts to suck then I would like to make a weekend of it if anyone is interested.

Props to the Mesa paddlers that I met at Gore. It is good to see that someone is putting the wave to good use now that Travis Winn and myself have moved from Junction.

Kyle McCutchen

ps The duct tape is primarily used to tape your hands to your paddle since it is too cold to hold on to it otherwise...

·
Registered
882 Posts
Kyle,

Props to you for givin' out the beta. We'll have to do a ride/surf weekend sometime. You missed my weak-ass line at Oceana - center line, double windowshade...but I'm a giver. I didn't swim and I made up for it later on with a sweet tandem hole surf with one of the c-boaters in our party. Maybe you read the reviews. Ebert & Roeper called it "mesmerizing...more graceful than the Bolshoi, more fun than Sweet's Fall's at 5,000 cfs...a striking performance that will no doubt revolutionize Steve's creeking career".

I'm headed up to Vail for the next two Fridays and probably Saturdays, so give me a call if you want to ride.

steve

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Steve, hole rides are fun! Okay, depends on the size of the hole. Any pics? I am really jonesing. Give me a call and we will go ride sometime. It's the only thing I can do it keep from going crazy from lack of paddling. At least the snow is a double positive. High water next spring baby.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Kyle- man, I'm right there with you on the lack of boating. I've been watching the Confluence guage hoping it will get hot enough to melt the snow quickly. As for holes, this must be my year. Mayo came down past me yelling "Carnage! Carnage! Yeah!" as I did some freestyle through a rapid in Lost Paddle at 5K. That time I washed out squirted and headed right for the Mail Slot - which conveniently had a raft pinned across it at the time...

I'll e-mail you pics and give ya a call...

steve[/img]

·
Registered
25 Posts
That sounds an awful lot like an MSP intro...

Caspian said:
Kyle,

Props to you for givin' out the beta. We'll have to do a ride/surf weekend sometime. You missed my weak-ass line at Oceana - center line, double windowshade...but I'm a giver. I didn't swim and I made up for it later on with a sweet tandem hole surf with one of the c-boaters in our party. Maybe you read the reviews. Ebert & Roeper called it "mesmerizing...more graceful than the Bolshoi, more fun than Sweet's Fall's at 5,000 cfs...a striking performance that will no doubt revolutionize Steve's creeking career".

I'm headed up to Vail for the next two Fridays and probably Saturdays, so give me a call if you want to ride.

steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts